Increase font size
Topic Title: Create and Maintain PGP Key Pair
Topic Summary: Can't Seem to Find an Option
Created On: 03/21/2018 03:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/21/2018 03:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ShereefAbbas
Student (5-19 posts)

Hello Dears,

I can't seem to create a PGP Key Ring and Key pair within the commercial version of PGP (Symantec) from Automate. I can see that option is there to choose key pairs and passphrase created with PGP; within the encryption and decryption process. I do have PGP installed in the same machine.

I need to create Key Pairs at specific intervals (3 months) with validity (3 months) and public key to be send to our customers. Each Customer should have their own key rings. When they send the data, Automate will decrypt the file using corresponding private key and passphrase. I don't want to manually create key pairs and passphrase within the PGP. Is this possible?

with regards,
Shereef

Edited: 03/21/2018 at 03:25 AM by ShereefAbbas
 03/21/2018 08:29 AM

Author Icon
Hamid Noorbakhsh
HelpSystems

Shereef,
Since creating keys is a once in a lifetime event (hopefully), Automate does not provide you with an action for this at this time. Before we implemented PGP and OpenPGP years ago, we included the 'Key Container' section which allows for creating keys for the WIndows machine/user to be trusted by the certificate authority of the system. These are NOT compatible with the asymmetric standards that are used today and are only there for backwards compatibility. Those keys have to be imported by the CA of machine to be used.

If you would like to create keys, just use your PGP software to create keys/keyrings. If you want a free OpenPGP version, you can use as examples: the command line GnuGPG or for a visual interface you can try Win4GPG. I have used them in the past and they work fine for creating keys/keyrings.

You can use the 'Run Action' to run the commandline for creating the keys if you don't care about the passphrase being the same. Also by just changing the encrypting/decrypting subkey, you can change the key's behavior without changing the keys.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------
Thank you for choosing AutoMate

Hamid Noorbakhsh | Senior Software Engineer
AutoMate | A Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 03/21/2018 10:28 AM

Author Icon
ShereefAbbas
Student (5-19 posts)

Yes, I remember that option was there in the old versions.

I don't completely agree with keys created for lifetime. We keep cycling the keys and our customers want it to.

I will try command line version of those open source apps. Last I remember, the keys or the files encrypted by them has difficulty opening in commercial PGP. I will check again.

Thank you for your valuable input.

with regards,
Shereef
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 796 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 796 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog