Network Automation Software We are currently migrating this forum
over to our HelpSystems domain. Please
post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: dataset issue (migarting from BPA 10 to version 11)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/23/2018 05:50 AM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/23/2018 05:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WimVan Haver
n00b (>6 posts)

Posts: 3
Joined: 01/23/2018

Hi,


We have installed a new Automate Enterprise v11.0.2.22 server (on Windows Server 2012 R2) and I am now migrating the workflows from our BPA 10 server.

In a number of tasks, SQL queries store the results in a dataset "userlist". When the query returns zero records, evaluating %userlist.totalrows% returns:

Expression evaluation failed: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."



In BPA 10 this was working properly: the same SQL query returned an empty dataset, with %userlist.totalrows% evaluating to 0.

Any suggestions?


Thank you
Wim
 01/24/2018 09:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mary Manzano
HelpSystems

Posts: 280
Joined: 03/10/2014

Hello Wim,

We would like to take a close look at this issue via remote session. Would you please send us an email at automate.support@helpsystems.com with a list of your availability for the week so that we can schedule a remote session. Please include your time zone.

-------------------------
Mary Manzano | Technical Consultant
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 01/25/2018 04:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WimVan Haver
n00b (>6 posts)

Posts: 3
Joined: 01/23/2018

Hi,


Additional testing revealed more details of the issue. The SQL query contains a condition:

IF ... SELECT * FROM TableName;


If the condition is not met:

BPA 10: the result is an empty dataset (%mydataset.totalrows% evaluates to 0)
BPA 11: there is no resulting dataset (%mydataset.totalrows% throws an error)


So I am now using this workaround. This results in an empty dataset if the condition is not met:

IF ... SELECT * FROM TableName ELSE SELECT TOP 0 1;


This workaround is acceptable, because I have only got 2 workflows with this issue.


Thank you
Wim
 01/26/2018 03:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Devin Cannon
HelpSystems

Posts: 398
Joined: 03/17/2016

Hi,

Could you please verify you are running 11.0.2.22? This was an issue in previous versions of 11 but was fixed in 11.0.2.22. I just tested this to be sure and %ds.TotalRows% is returning "0" when the dataset is blank.

-------------------------

Devin Cannon | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 01/28/2018 10:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WimVan Haver
n00b (>6 posts)

Posts: 3
Joined: 01/23/2018

Hi,

Yes, we are running 11.0.2.22.

Thank you
Wim
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 974 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 974 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog