Increase font size
Topic Title: Service startup order
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/01/2018 01:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/01/2018 01:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

To my current understanding, the startup order of the AM services has always been communicated as such:

1st - Execution Server
2nd - Management Server
3rd - Agent

And when shutting down, stop in the reverse order.

The default Service Startup Type however for the Execution and Management Server Services are Automatic (Delayed Start) whereas the Agent is Automatic. With that in mind, that contradicts the recommended startup order of the services since with those startup types, the Agent will always start before the other two since they are delayed.

Am I missing something?

-------------------------
<html />
 02/05/2018 12:27 PM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hello James,

The order in which you have documented is when we are stop/starting the services manually.

I apologize for the confusion.

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 02/05/2018 12:36 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Hi Ricardo -

Thanks for the response, but I am still confused.....should the manual start/stop order be different than the automatic? I notice often when we use your manual start/stop order that we will get several emails from jobs about the Agent not being connected, so I'm wondering if the manual start/stop should reflect the Agent starting first? It seems under normal circumstances that the Agent will start first anyway?

<html />
 02/06/2018 10:48 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi James,

The order that is documented is only done when troubleshooting, we start the services in that order to make sure that all components have connected successfully for troubleshooting reasons. By default all services are set to automatic.

02/06/2018 10:52 AM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Thanks Ricardo. Having just performed a couple of installations - I noticed that the Execution and Management Server Services installed as Automatic (Delayed); but the Agent was just Automatic, which means the Agent will startup first - then the other two ~ 2 minutes later.

Given this, I'm thinking maybe I should alter my scripts to startup the Agent first, and shut it down last.

<html />
 02/06/2018 11:14 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hello James,

I am running a default install of Automate Enterprise and the startup type for all 3 is set to "automatic".

02/06/2018 11:25 AM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

That in itself is really no big deal for me - I was just looking for the correct manual start/stop order. We have a regular patching window once/week, over the weekend. I have a scheduled task that runs which shutdowns all 3 services in the manual order you have specified, and then disables them. This keeps them from restarting during the patching window if/when the server is rebooted. Then at the end of the patching window, the services are re-enabled and started.

When they are re-started manually using the script and manual start up order, I often get email errors for a few jobs that it tries to retroactively run about the Agent not being connected. Since the Agent is the last service to start in the manual startup order, I'm just wondering if maybe instead of the last, it should be the first.

<html />
 02/06/2018 12:35 PM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hello James,

I would actually suggest that you set it to default to see if the errors still occur. If they do we can work from there.

02/06/2018 12:41 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Ricardo,

I can set them to default, but that will only affect them in such an event as after a reboot when the OS starts them during startup. It will make no difference whether they are set to auto, auto-delayed or manual when I'm using a script to start/stop them.

<html />
 02/07/2018 12:11 PM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi James,

I think it would be best if we setup a meeting session where we can take a closer look at this issue. Please send an email to Automate.Support@helpsystems.com and make sure to include a link to this forum thread.

02/07/2018 12:40 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Honestly, there really isn't an "issue" per se. This particular error only occurs once/week during the scheduled hour downtime. We have at least one job that runs every 5 minutes and after the services come back online, it immediately tries to run that job and since the Agent hasn't started up yet, the error notification is generated. I say it's not really an issue because it will run successfully 5 minutes later. It's just an annoyance that I'm trying to eliminate. That's why I was suggesting maybe it needs to start first. I tried setting a global exclusion for that hour, but after discovering there is a bug with setting global exclusions, I didn't pursue that avenue further. I guess I was looking to update my script to start the services in the same order as the OS when it starts up, since the errors don't seem to generate then.

<html />
 02/09/2018 10:05 AM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello James,

Here is an option that may help in this situation, you can set the rescheduling behavior within the trigger itself. Under the rescheduling tab, you can change the way the task behaves if its late. If you set:

When trigger is late: Ignore and Reschedule
Reschedule trigger: Relative to the original scheduled time

This will basically allow to task to ignore the fact that its late, and run the next time it is scheduled to run.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 02/13/2018 06:45 AM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Thanks Alex - that does seem like a viable alternative. I have several jobs that generate the message so I will review and apply this to the ones that make sense.

<html />
 02/13/2018 08:16 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi James,

We appreciate the update.

02/14/2018 01:33 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Before I start changing the properties of the various jobs, I checked the event viewer of the server and discovered that when booting up, the services are starting in this order:

Agent
Execution
Management

This confirms what I was thinking, that the Agent starts first. I modified my maintenance script (created a backup first) to match this order, including the reverse order for shutting down. I will let you know how it works.

<html />
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1285 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1285 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog