Increase font size
Topic Title: REST API - Triggering w/ Parameterized Variables
Topic Summary: REST API
Created On: 05/15/2018 08:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/15/2018 08:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BenjaminBowie
n00b (>6 posts)

Looking to make a REST post to Automate to start a Task or Workflow and give it values to work with.

Is this possible?

So far.. it's "Do-Able" with and update against initial value variables and then running. However this isn't workable in a parallel fashion.
 05/16/2018 12:51 PM

Author Icon
DavidSeibel
Apprentice (20-49)

I played with this exact idea a while back using PoshBPA against the API. I created a front end that would allow you to select a workflow, edit the variables, and then when you click "Execute", it would update the variables for you and then execute the workflow. I had thoughts of making it so you could specify shared workflow variables that would alter the presentation of the form, but haven't yet done anything with it.

It's available on Github in the development branch of PoshBPA-Scripts: https://github.com/davidseibel/PoshBPA-Scripts/blob/dev/GUI-BPALauncher.ps1. Feel free to play around with it (at your own risk, of course).

Also note that this does not change any variables back. And since you're using v11, you will need to specify the port in the connection field in the following format: {server}:{port} (for example, bpaserver01:9708).

I've attached a screenshot of it in use.

Click for full image
Click for larger image

05/17/2018 05:56 AM

Author Icon
BenjaminBowie
n00b (>6 posts)

I had found your PoshBPA yesterday actually haha.. I've been looking at it. Had thought to copy the workflow, set the variables, execute, and then remove the copied workflow. (As I'd like t be able to process 1-100 simultaneously.) - However I didn't see a delete or remove function.

Alternatively.. I may just have the front end bit, write entries to a database and utilize the db condition to watch for insert notifications. Some thought to use MSMQ or files, etc. there are options, but for ease of integrations sake- exposing variables to the REST call would have been ideal.
 05/17/2018 03:51 PM

Author Icon
DavidSeibel
Apprentice (20-49)

The function to remove a workflow (or any object) with PoshBPA is Remove-BPAObject.
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1202 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1202 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog