post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does someone have to be logged in on the server to run a task?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/04/2011 11:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/04/2011 11:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DannyHeisner
Expert (100-199)

I created a workflow that executed on the client machines and had a performance issue with a task that fixed some issues in a text file, so I changed the workflow so that it runs all tasks on the client except the task that fixes the text file.  I set it to always run on the server.  The task that is running prior to the one running on the server is set to Triggered Agent as is the one.  My question is this, does someone have to be logged into the server so that the agent can run or will it run when no one is logged in?  The task actually has no UI component to it.  It simply opens up a text file, manipulates the contents and writes them back to the same place.  

The problem is that it seems to hang today and it didn't hang yesterday, but yesterday, I was logged into the server using remote desktop and would see the task fire off.

So, can I run a task on the server in the background without someone being logged into the console?

Category Survey
 08/04/2011 11:48 AM

Author Icon
Rick Johnson
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Danny,

As long as the task does not interact with the UI, trigger from windows, or trigger from a keystroke, it can be run as a background user without logging in to the desktop. It sounded like your file processing task should be OK to run without logging in.

Category Survey

-------------------------
- Rick Johnson
Network Automation
 08/04/2011 04:59 PM

Author Icon
DannyHeisner
Expert (100-199)

Thanks!  I think I figured out why my code was not working.  I call the routine form several different workflows and it seems that the I forgot to set one variable to global (the one that tells it how many times to run).  Well, it ran exactly 0 times, which was what I was telling it by not setting the global variable.  

Category Survey
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1231 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1231 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog