post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Task could not start because the user's profile could not be loaded
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/27/2011 02:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/27/2011 02:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Hello all!

I'm finally doing some development with Automate again (lots of other huge projects going on at my company)- but for much needed changes in production (v7.1.2 of Automate BPA Server).

Recently we have received a new requirement, which states that all file transfers need to go through a central file store (CFS) for file copies. However, all of our BPA Server and Agent services are running as "Local System" and our Default User is set to a local machine user.

I have tried changing all of them to be the new domain user, but that results in the attached error. I tried to switch it back to the local user and that didn't work either.

So, given that we have "Local System", local machine users and a AD domain user... what would your recommendation be to set the user as for A) the BPA server B) BPA Agent C) the server's Default User?

Another question: Does the domain user need to be able to "login" to the AM Server machine in order for this to work?

Category Survey

Click for full image
Click for larger image

09/27/2011 04:03 PM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Nam,

BPA Server is currently set to System correct? That setting should remain because the server service does not execute the actual tasks within a workflow. As far as the BPA Agent and Default User settings, they can be one in the same or the Agent can inherit the Default User values. I would recommend that the Default User be configured for what the majority of your workflow/tasks would need to use to function properly. If you only have a handful of workflow/tasks that need special access for the CFS, then I would recommend configuring the user at the task property level. We would also have to take into account if the workflow/tasks require the workstation to be logged on or can it be executed in the background.

The error message looks like there is a conflict in user credentials and access to user specific locations in Windows.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665

Edited: 09/27/2011 at 04:10 PM by Leonard Amabile
 09/28/2011 08:00 AM

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Hi Leonard,

I have set the BPA Server to use the System's account and the Agent and Default User to be my CFS user. It still yields the same error.

Why does the error say "Task could not start" if it was only a specific location in Windows? Should the task actually start and then tell me it failed to access something? Doesn't the error message actually indicate that the Task didn't start at all?

Category Survey
 09/29/2011 11:47 AM

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Has anybody else experienced similar issues to this while trying to make the Agents and/or Tasks run with domain users?

I just want to know if anyone else has done it and been successful.

Category Survey
 09/29/2011 03:36 PM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Nam,

When you're available, can we schedule a remote session to look at BPA's configuration? We're not sure what is generating the error message.

Category Survey

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 09/30/2011 07:26 AM

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Yes. Certainly. I am available today, pretty much any time before 5PM EDT.

I'm much more busy next week, but on Monday and Tuesday I am available before 3PM EDT.

Category Survey
 09/30/2011 12:26 PM

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Had a help session with Ricardo where he told me about Registry settings to change to fix this error.

Thank you kindly!

Category Survey
 10/14/2011 12:13 PM

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Hello all!

An issue related to this has reared its ugly head. I have taken the changes that have been suggested for my development environment (that got the user logging in and writing to the file share successfully) and applied them to our production environment over the course of several weeks.

In the past, our Automate servers were not on our domain. Now they are because of a new requirement to be able to file copy to a specified CFS share on the domain.

There is a problem where... Automate will just simply go out to lunch and not process anything- unless a user (not even the specified user that AM is logging in as), ANY user is logged in.

Here is the state of all Automate server machines we have:
- the default user is set to be the domain user that has access to the CFS (no local users have access to that share)
- everything is set to run as a Background user (as the aforementioned default user whether the machine is logged on, logged off or locked)
- BPA server is set to run as local system (as recommended)
- BPA agent is set to run as local system (Automate would not execute workflows unless this was set to be local system)
- the domain user is set to be an Administrator on the local machine
- < 1% of all of our tasks to be performed need to go to the CFS, so we've ruled out the idea that it's strictly related to that share beacuse it doesn't execute anything relating to the CFS most of the time
- we restart the machines 3 times a week (MWF) in order to clear out the persistent BPA 7.x memory issues

Here is the mystery:
- Every once in a while, Automate on one of our Automate servers will simply stop executing workflows
- The issue magically goes away when anybody (a local, or another domain user) logs into the machine (RDP or console- it doesn't matter which)
- When all users log off again, I would expect the setting to "Run as a background user" to kick in when it is logged off, but it just stops altogether
- When it is not executing workflows, our monitoring software tells us that the services are still active and running, but nothing is being executed
- We know when it does process a workflow because our meta-reporting tool tells us when particular machines are processing our tasks

My IT department has tried basically everything they can think of to solve the problem, but the problem still persists.
- We've triple and quadruple checked domain configurations, permissions and settings: it's a super admin, and still nothing
- We've tried matching permissions to one of the existing users- and to no avail
- We've tried removing the machines and re-adding them to the domain; same situation afterwards
- We've tried restarts of services and machines, but to no avail; actually if we restart a machine and no one logs in, it doesn't execute any workflows
- Investigating while logged in, logged out and in between

Our current workaround is to have someone log in and stay logged in indefinitely. This will work only until a day where our automate machine restarts need to occur (MWF). We shouldn't HAVE to keep a machine up and logged in to a machine that purportedly can run in the background.
They now believe that Automate is attempting to access some resource that cannot be accessed without any user being logged in. We were wondering if you had ANY possible idea as to what that could be? Maybe recommended settings for when this situation occurs?
- We finally checked the Event Log; there were no strange/unexpected entries except for one received shortly after an automated restart
- This is the error: AutoMate BPA Agent will attempt to reconnect AutoMate BPA Server at localhost every 15 seconds.  You will not be notified of further connection failures until a successful connection is made.
- I've seen this before and usually when you log back into the machine and restart the Agent, it works fine
- But this is the most frustrating and contrived part of this whole thing: the Agent seems to pick back up fine just by logging in (no one has to even touch the service); and it stops responding when logged out
- Another funny thing when logged out, after logging back in, there isn't an error in the event log that would explain the Agent all of a sudden stopping during the previous logout; only upon machine restarts do we get the above error

So if anybody has any ideas or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

Category Survey
 10/14/2011 03:49 PM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi Nam,

Are you running a task as a background user using a different account than one already logged onto the machine? Please check the System and Application logs of Event Viewer, there should be more information as to why the profile cannot be loaded.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 7 version:
Windows version:

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 10/17/2011 02:18 PM

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Hi Ricardo,

I am running the task as a domain user. This user had admin privileges on the machine, but I don't want to be logged into the machine. I want the machine to be completely logged off, and run as a the Default user (which is the Domain user).

One of each of the following errors/messages:
Connection to AutoMate BPA Server at localhost cannot be made because there is no server at that location. (10061)

AutoMate BPA Agent will attempt to reconnect AutoMate BPA Server at localhost every 15 seconds.  You will not be notified of further connection failures until a successful connection is made.

BPA Server online and fully operational

Agent authentication of IDIAUTOMATE03 successful.

There are many of these (crypt32 errors):
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

Category Survey
 10/18/2011 02:28 PM

Author Icon
Liz Casale
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Via a GoToAssist session, found that the task could not run in the background because the Event Monitor was not able to be found in the correct session. Edited AMEMAUTOSTARTMODE value to 0 (first come first serve) and removed the terminal services user. Workflows then were able to run in the background.

Category Survey

Liz Casale
Technical Support Representative
(213) 738-6966
Network Automation, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AM5 5.5.5.1; AM6 6.2.8.0; AM7 7.1.3.0; AM8 8.0.9.0; AM9 9.0.3.4
BPA7 7.1.3.0; BPA8 8.0.9.0; BPA9 9.0.3.4
 10/19/2011 10:06 AM

Author Icon
NamNgo
Expert (100-199)

Hello everyone,

I believe we have solved this issue. The first time I asked, Ricardo had given me a workaround, which was to change two BPA Agent TaskService registry values AMEMAutoStartMode to 2 and the TerminalServicesUser to be our user. As it turned out, that caused our second problem because we wanted everything to run as a background user, but when no one was logged on, the registry settings found no AM monitor up and running and would fail to execute any workflows.

As per Liz and Leonard, changing these back to the standard default seemed to fix the issue.

So, I guess it was just a matter of mis-communication/mis-understanding of the question.

Category Survey
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1549 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1549 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog