HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Workflow Priority Question
Topic Summary: Want to Prevent Workflow from firing more than once.
Created On: 12/23/2011 11:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/23/2011 11:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DeborahWells
Journeyman (50-99)

I have a workflow that is initiated by one of 5 file watcher conditions.  Once initiated, the workflow itself manages the processing of the other 4 files, as the process is single threaded (only one can run at a time).  So once it starts running (due to 1 of the files watcher conditions being met), even if another file watcher condition is met, I don't want to run another instance of the workflow.

I have set the Priority under the Workflow Properties  such that I am limiting the 'Run task if the number of running instances of this task is below the threshold of 1'.  And 'If the condition above is not initally met, I Do not run task, and treat it as Success'.   The verbiage says 'task', but I was assuming since I am in the workflow properties, it pertains to the workflow. 

However, that is not what I am finding.  If I trigger the workflow, have it start, and then add a file that would essentially trigger 'another' workflow that should actually not run (per the priority settings), it is not working correctly.  The second version of the workflow still runs as well, while the first instance is still running.

Does the workflow priority setting actually pertain to workflows?  For what I want to do, are my settings correct?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Deborah.

Category Survey
 12/23/2011 11:55 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Deborah,

The priorities are for the tasks within the workflows but your settings should work though you will see a workflow trigger before task priorities are applied. There may be a better way of accomplishing your task. Does this workflow always process 5 files when 1 of 5 files is dropped in the folder? Do these 5 files drop around certain times?

You can adjust the file condition to activate when a file count threshold is met. This way once 5 files are in the folder, then the workflow triggers and executes only once. Or you can schedule the workflow on a set interval and create a task that checks for the 5 files. If the 5 files are not present, then stop the task/workflow. There are a number of other scenarios to accomplish as well depending on the granularity of your requirements.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 12/27/2011 08:03 AM

Author Icon
DeborahWells
Journeyman (50-99)

Leonard,

Thanks for your reply.  What I am automating is the loading of a datawarehouse that is triggered by the completion of month end closing processing (posting to GL, etc.)  I have 5 source systems that will each write a file when their month end has successfully completed and therefore the dw load can begin.

They source systems can complete in any order, and the locations that the source systems are writing their 'trigger' files to are different from one another.  The last requirement is that the dw load process can only process one source system at a time.  Therefore, once the dw loading has begun for the first source system, even if all the other source systems month end would complete (and the trigger files were written), nothing can process until the first system's dw load is done.

What I have put together is a workflow containing 5 file watchers (representing each source system).   I have a task that I have designated as the 'Process manager' to manage the dw load process once the first system has started.  Therefore, any of the filewatchers can trigger at any time during month end processing.  Once the first once does, however, I need to prevent all the other ones from triggering.  The files they are watching for will be written, but the condition cannot start another instance of the workflow.

Once the first file has triggered the start of the loading, the workflow will continue to run until all 5 of the source systems have loaded, 'gatekeeping' within itself the other 4.  That is why I was hoping the priority setting was related to a workflow as well, as the workflow will be running.

I can send you an image of my workflow via email, but I am unable to post here, fyi.

Thanks so much!

Deborah.

Category Survey
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1945 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1945 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog