Increase font size
Topic Title: PGP Encryption
Topic Summary: Looking fior Instructions
Created On: 10/16/2009 11:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/16/2009 11:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jasons
Student (5-19 posts)

Hello,

I have a number of production requests to use PGP encrytpion and FTP files to an external vendor. However the lack of documentation from Network Automation on how to do this is very concerning and I fear I will not be able to use BPA Server 7 to do this. I believe when Automate BPA Server 7 is installed it also installs OpenPGP. Is there a how-to on how I would encrypt the file in question and what I would have the external client run to decrypt it? Wouldn't they be able to unencrypt the file with OpenPGP RFC 4880 key compliant software?

Thank you.
Jason

Category Survey
 10/16/2009 01:42 PM

Author Icon
Hamid Noorbakhsh
HelpSystems

Jason,

I think part of your question is answered in this thread.

You can encrypt the file using the Encryption Action and then FTP it over using the Internet/FTP actions. The recipient has to decrypt it then. Any PGP compliant software would do. It can be 'PGP Desktop' which is a paid application, or I useGPG4Win myself. Of course the paid versions are more user friendly, but GPG4Win does the job for me.

For your how-to:
1. Open Task Builder (BPA or AutoMate) and add a Cryptography/Encryption Action.
2. Choose your source file to be encrypted and destination file.
3. Choose 'OpenPGP Public/Private Key' under 'Type'
4. Click on 'PGP' tab and enter path to your keyrings - This will populate the lower list
5. Choose the recipient.
6. Press 'OK'

Other parameters have to be assigned if needed e.g. If you are overwriting a file.

When this task is run, you will have the encrypted file.

Hope this clarifies the steps. NO other software is needed for this to work, however, you need the public/private keyrings.

Category Survey
AutoMate 7 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------
Thank you for choosing AutoMate

Hamid Noorbakhsh | Senior Software Engineer
AutoMate | A Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 10/30/2009 03:25 PM

Author Icon
RogeneTalento
Student (5-19 posts)

Hi Jason,

We have had good success encrypting and decrypting using OpenPGP that is built-in to Automate 7.

We use GnuPG to manage our keyring files, and configure the encryption task step to point to these keyring files.

As the external vendor would be providing their public key for you to use to encrypt the file, they most likely have a compliant PGP solution already in place.

-Rogene

Category Survey

AutoMate Premium 8.0.9.0 / MS Windows Server 2008 R2
 11/05/2009 01:03 PM

Author Icon
jasons
Student (5-19 posts)

Thanks for the info. I figured out how to get the OpenPGP functionality working which suits our needs perfectly. It's actually quite nice.. now on to figuring out how to resolve Automates issue with raw FTP commands. Thanks.

Category Survey
 07/21/2013 04:14 PM

Author Icon
AbhishekNepal
n00b (>6 posts)

HI jason,

I know it is an old thread. Can you elaborate how you made OPenPGP phrase working for you. My problem is i have public key and private key. But i do now know how to generate the keyring file from that public key.

Category Survey
 07/22/2013 08:06 AM

Author Icon
Liz Casale
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Jason,

It sounds like you'd want to select OpenPGP public key. You should be able to use Open PGP to encrypt and decrypt these files. There is actually no need to install PGP on your machine if you use our built in OpenPGP option. All you will need to do is set the "Encryption Type" to OpenPGP passphrase or public key. The Public and Private Keyring files would need to be created in your local environment and then your keys imported into the keyrings. Unfortunately, we do not have tutorials on this. However here is an article that may assist you with creating the keyring files:

http://help.globalscape.com/he...p_key_ring_manager.htm

*You can use any keyring manager to import your keys. Our preference is either Gpg4win (http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html) or Kleopatra (http://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/kleopatra/)

Category Survey

Liz Casale
Technical Support Representative
(213) 738-6966
Network Automation, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AM5 5.5.5.1; AM6 6.2.8.0; AM7 7.1.3.0; AM8 8.0.9.0; AM9 9.0.3.4
BPA7 7.1.3.0; BPA8 8.0.9.0; BPA9 9.0.3.4
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 2020 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 2020 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog