Increase font size
Topic Title: AMEM.exe and AMTS.exe not running on agents
Topic Summary: AMEM.exe and AMTS.exe not running on agents
Created On: 08/28/2007 12:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/28/2007 12:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CamilleBalderson
n00b (>6 posts)

I have one enterprise PC and 20 agent PCs running 6.2.1.10.  All are the same make and model PCs running Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2.  The enterprise PC and one agent PC are in the same office/physical location.  The other 19 agents are in different US offices but all on the same network.  We've had the agents successfully running scheduled tasks for over 2 months now over port 4486.  Starting yesterday on almost all the PCs the AMEM.exe and AMTS.exe services will not run.  IT claims nothing was pushed and nothing was that I can see.  I rebooted, I tried to manually start them from Services.  

In the AutoMate log files there are messages like, "Hook window cannot be found.  Success at logon cannot be verified"  and  "Task could not start because AutoMate Event Monitor could not be contacted."

In the Application Event Viewer I see these for AutoMate:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AMTS.exe) cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.  You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE = flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details.  The following information is part of the event; The system cannot find the file specified."

I ran a repair on AutoMate.  Still didn't work.  I compared the registry settings with a PC it was working on and there were no differences.  The only way to resolve this was to completely uninstall Automate, reboot, and then reinstall it again.  

Any ideas as to what caused all this?  It's quite the hassle to have to uninstall and reinstall when things quit working.

Category Survey
 08/28/2007 03:33 PM

Author Icon
Marjo Martinez
HelpSystems

Camille,

The error "Hook window cannot be found. Success at logon cannot be verified" generally means that the task failed upon trying to unlock the machine to run the task. Please refer to the following kb article for more details and possible solutions:

ERROR: Task could not start because Hook window cannot be found.

When a task is set to run interactively, the Task Service attempts to contact another AutoMate application called the Event Monitor. The error "Task could not start because AutoMate Event Monitor could not be contacted" occurs when the AutoMate Task Service (AMTS.exe) fails to contact the Event Monitor (AMEM.exe). This can happen for a number of reasons:

1. The Event Monitor is not running - Confirm that the "A" icon is located in the system tray (by the clock).

2. AutoMate is running on a Terminal Services or Remote Desktop client - AutoMate will only run one Event Monitor and it runs it on the console. When a user is logged into Remote Desktop they are not using the console session but rather a "virtual desktop." AutoMate tries to contact the Event Monitor on this session, where it does not exist, and errors out.

3. Communication between the Task Service and Event Monitor is being blocked - There may be a Firewall or Antivirus blocking communications between the Event Monitor and task services.

Please see this kb article for more information and possible solutions:

Event Monitor Could Not Be Contacted

Category Survey

-------------------------
Thank you for choosing AutoMate.

Marjo

<a class="ftalternatingbarlinklarge" href="http://www.networkautomation.com" target="_blank">Network Automation, Inc. - No Code, No Limits Business Process Automation</A>
 07/18/2013 01:11 PM

Author Icon
RyanPutman
Student (5-19 posts)

1. The Event Monitor is not running - Confirm that the "A" icon is located in the system tray (by the clock).

Can you tell me how to get AMEM.exe running?  I've located the exe and have tried running it but it won't seem to load.

I've checked Event Viewer and there is an Application Error logged to "Automate 6" stating: "AutoMate Service User could not logon.  Is the username and password correct?" but I've checked the Service User within the Task Administrator >> System >> Options menu and made sure the password was correct.

Is there something I'm missing?  Why can't I get AMEM.exe to run?

Category Survey
 07/19/2013 07:34 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Ryan,

Please recheck the user name and password in your System>Options. Also, is it possible that the error message refers to the actual service? Please check the AutoMate 6 service and make sure that the service is set to log on as "local system account" under the Log On tab. You can get to the services by running services.msc from the run field in Windows.

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version:
Windows version:

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 07/24/2013 06:48 AM

Author Icon
RyanPutman
Student (5-19 posts)

Automate has been up and running on this server for months ... I don't know how any of the Login stuff could have got messed up.

But I just updated the Logon for the CA SCM Agent Service and tried to run it and got the following error: Could not start the CA SCM Agent Service on Local Computer.  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Category Survey
 07/24/2013 03:28 PM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi Ryan,

I do apologize but can you please provide a screenshot of the error?

Do you have any errors in the Windows Event Viewer?

Category Survey

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 07/25/2013 10:43 AM

Author Icon
RyanPutman
Student (5-19 posts)

Sorry, posted an error message from a different service I was working on.

Wasn't paying very close attention to the error message I was grabbing

I've updated the login information for the Automate Service and don't receive an error but I'm still getting these:

Error message: Task could not start because the AutoMate Event Monitor could not be contacted.  

Category Survey
 07/25/2013 02:22 PM

Author Icon
Liz Casale
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your post. The Automate Service itself in the Windows Services list has to be running as Local System Account. "Allow service to interact with desktop" Unchecked.

You'd then want to make sure that in the AutoMate Task Administrator -> System -> Options -> Service User has either the right credentials or no credentials. Typically this setting is not necessary unless your tasks reside on a network share and not locally.

Category Survey

Liz Casale
Technical Support Representative
(213) 738-6966
Network Automation, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AM5 5.5.5.1; AM6 6.2.8.0; AM7 7.1.3.0; AM8 8.0.9.0; AM9 9.0.3.4
BPA7 7.1.3.0; BPA8 8.0.9.0; BPA9 9.0.3.4
 07/25/2013 02:29 PM

Author Icon
RyanPutman
Student (5-19 posts)

I've blanked the user out of both sections (as this is how it is on our Production Automate 6 server) and it's still erroring.

Isn't there some way to manually kick off AMEM.exe?  We're doing testing involving this server and nothing is working right now because Automate won't run its jobs.

Category Survey
 07/25/2013 02:35 PM

Author Icon
Liz Casale
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Ryan,

If it is not starting automatically then something may be preventing the process from starting. Is there any antivirus or firewall that could be blocking it?

As a test, lets rename the .txt logs.

1. Stop the AutoMate 6 service.

2. Please navigate to either and rename the 3 text logs:

WIN2K, WINXP, WIN2K3:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Automation\AutoMate 6
WINV, WIN2K8, WIN7:
C:\ProgramData\Network Automation\AutoMate 6

3. Start the AutoMate 6 service.

What OS are you running?

Category Survey

Liz Casale
(213) 738-6966
Network Automation, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07/26/2013 08:09 AM

Author Icon
RyanPutman
Student (5-19 posts)

There were only 2 log files in that directory.  I renamed them both and then started the Service back up.  That recreated the .atl log file but it was empty.

Before starting all this, I did go into Services and I disabled all the Symantec services to try to rule that out.  

After I restarted the Serive I opened up the Task Administrator and all of my tasks were gone!  Is there some way of getting these back?  Even so, I re-imported one of my old jobs and tried to run it and still received the same error:  Task could not start because the Automate Event Monitor could not be contacted.

Category Survey
 07/26/2013 08:19 AM

Author Icon
RyanPutman
Student (5-19 posts)

Windows 2003 Server.

I also noticed that some Windows updates were installed on 7/19 ... that seems to coincide with when our problems started to happen.  

Are there any known issues with Automate 6 and the following 2003 Server updates?

Windows Updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2845187

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2833949

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2850851

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2803821

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2834886

IE Updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2846071

.NET 3.0 Framework SP2

KB2832411

.NET 2.0 Framework SP2

KB2844285

KB2833940

Category Survey
 07/26/2013 01:26 PM

Author Icon
Liz Casale
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Ryan,

You would have wanted to rename the .txt logs NOT the .atl file. Please stop the service and rename the old .atl back to .atl so that it becomes the active one. This would restore the references to all the tasks in the Default Managed Task location.

There are not known issues with 2003 Server updates. Is it possible to roll back these updates?

Is it possible for you to install AutoMate 9 along side of AutoMate 6?

Category Survey

Liz Casale
(213) 738-6966
Network Automation, Inc.

07/29/2013 12:33 PM

Author Icon
RyanPutman
Student (5-19 posts)

We originally had 9 installed on this server but it started to cause the server to freeze and crash.  I tried to get an answer for why that was happening but never did get one.

I eventually had to rebuild the current machine as a clone of our Production box which cost me weeks of time - I am in no great rush to re-install 9.

I did as you requested and renamed the .atl.old file back to .atl and that restored my jobs however the jobs are still erring with the same message.

Category Survey
 07/29/2013 12:55 PM

Author Icon
Liz Casale
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your reply. You may have installed an older version of AutoMate 9 that had known bugs. Our v9.0.4.5, which is currently downloadable from your account page or the AutoMate 9 forum page, is stable. We would suggest installing this version or see if the issue persists.

Category Survey

Liz Casale
(213) 738-6966
Network Automation, Inc.

Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1570 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1570 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog