post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Task in remote desktop session can't focus window when session is minimized
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/14/2009 06:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/14/2009 06:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

I have Automate task that periodically focuses the same application window and enter information in a loop, like this:

loop
focus window
move cursor to certain control
send keystrokes
do some other things
end loop

It works OK. But if I run it on an XP machine to which I'm connected via remote desktop, I need to keep remote desktop window open. As soon as I minimize it or disconnect, "focus window" in the task fails with "window can't be focused".

How to deal with this?

thanks

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version: 6.2.8
Windows version: Windows XP
 05/14/2009 09:05 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Are you running the task through Task Builder or through Task Administrator? If you are running through Task Administrator, what are the logon settings for the task?

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 05/14/2009 09:21 AM

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

Through Task Administrator. Logon settings: logged on user; logon specified user/unlock using specified user.

If I just start virtual machine, then it works OK - Automate logs on as specified, and then runs the task by schedule. This problem is only when for some reason I want to monitor the task, so I connect via remote desktop, run the task, and watch it for some time. But it looks like in this case I have to watch it to the end - if I disconnect or even minimize the window, Automate can't focus the window of the application.

Category Survey
 05/14/2009 09:23 AM

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

> if I disconnect or even minimize the window

meaning the window of the remote desktop session.

Category Survey
 05/19/2009 06:33 AM

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

so, any chance this going to be addressed or answered?

Category Survey
 05/19/2009 09:50 AM

Author Icon
BruceWeston
n00b (>6 posts)

I have the same issue... Perhaps it is a microsoft thing now with XP SP3, and their change from /console to /admin and not really connecting to session 0 any longer on remote desktop connections.... (this is a virtual workstation though, so isn't there really only one session to connect to?)

It does seem that AutoMate could somehow account for this though. I have certain windows which will not focus when either minimized in Remote Desktop or are left in a disconnected remote desktop session...

This is a virutal Machine XP SP3, on an ESX server, and unfortunately, it does not seem to work to leave the console open with VMware Infrastructure Client either...

It would be ashame to have to resort to trying VNC server and client on these things just to see if they work...

With either the VMware Console, or the RDP /admin option, I have to actively be in the console and "watch" it all run, or the MS Access window will not focus... It would just blink a few times on the taskbar, and an AUTOMATE error would occur that says that it could not focus the window...

Next, I thought I might try keeping the workstation logged off, and try an auto logon option in the task, with credentials, and see when it logs in if it still has problems focusing the Microsoft Access Database window after the task opens it...

Any other ideas to try after that one?

Category Survey

Edited: 05/19/2009 at 10:01 AM by BruceWeston
 05/19/2009 11:55 AM

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

Interestingly, if you have remote desktop inside remote desktop, then it works. I.e.

you open remote desktop of computer A
from there you open remote desktop on computer B
on computer B you launch a program controlled by Automate
now you can minimize remote desktop A or disconnect it - the program on B will continue.

But if you connected directly to B, you'd have to keep the remote desktop window open.

Category Survey
 05/20/2009 03:00 PM

Author Icon
BruceWeston
n00b (>6 posts)

Originally posted by: VadimRapp

Interestingly, if you have remote desktop inside remote desktop, then it works. I.e.

you open remote desktop of computer A

from there you open remote desktop on computer B

on computer B you launch a program controlled by Automate

now you can minimize remote desktop A or disconnect it - the program on B will continue.

But if you connected directly to B, you'd have to keep the remote desktop window open.

That is odd. Thanks for the info. I will have to test that out. So, if I leave a nested RDP session open like that, I may be able to get the scheduled task to succeed, and focus the database window...? I will try it, but there must be an easier way... I hope!

Thanks

Category Survey
 05/21/2009 09:40 AM

Author Icon
BruceWeston
n00b (>6 posts)

Unfortunately, The nested Remote Desktop sessions did not seem to work for focusing my Access database, but as long as I have an RDP session established, I got it to focus the window by telling automate to "press" on the flashing icon in the taskbar for the Access Database Window...

Minor improvement only, since it still does not work with a minimized or disconnected RDP session...

Category Survey
 05/21/2009 01:27 PM

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

Remarkably, no response from Network Automation, though I also sent email to support@. Leonard, what's up?

Category Survey
 05/22/2009 10:32 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Vadim,

I apologize for the delayed response.

We do not support Remote Desktop sessions when running tasks from Task Administrator. This will most likely be corrected in a future version of Automate. It appears that you are either in session 0 or a virtualized session 0. I cannot explain why it would not function if the window is minimized. Does this occur when running the task from Task Builder?

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version:
Windows version:

05/22/2009 11:17 AM

Author Icon
Dustin Snell
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Originally posted by: VadimRapp

Remarkably, no response from Network Automation, though I also sent email to support@. Leonard, what's up?

For the next maintenance release we are placing a heavy emphasis on finding ways to make AutoMate perform as expected in a Remote Desktop enviornment - especially when there is only one session in use. So, hopefully this problem will be corrected for you next month. For now, VNC or using the actual console is the best bet.

Category Survey

Dustin Snell
 05/24/2009 10:14 AM

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

LA> Does this occur when running the task from Task Builder?

yes

DS> So, hopefully this problem will be corrected for you next month

That's very good news, especially given that this is already not the current version.

thanks,
Vadim Rapp

Category Survey
 05/26/2009 10:44 AM

Author Icon
VadimRapp
Apprentice (20-49)

I then received an email from support@ that said "Keep in mind that the maintenance release that is mentioned on the forum thread is for AM7 and not AM6. " Obviously, since this forum is for AM6, Dustin's message was understood as applying to AM6. If this is indeed only for AM7, then I'm wondering why. This is paid-for product, and if this is confirmed bug, I don't see a reason why it would not be addressed.

According to http://www.networkautomation.c...-01E1-EA5EF25D1428AED1 , "If a managed task triggers or is run from the Task Administrator, however, the task will run on the console and not the Remote Desktop". Obviously, this is not what's happening.

Category Survey
 05/27/2009 08:08 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Vadim,

This is in no way a confirmed bug with Automate, Remote Desktop, or Windows XP. The enhancements we are making in AM7 and BPA7 allows users access to Automate's Event Monitor through a remote desktop session. This enhancement will not be available in AM6.

As far as the issues you are having, we need to reproduce this internally in order to determine if this is an issue we can even address. You will be receiving an email asking for availability so that we can schedule a GotoMeeting session. We need to see the problem on your end and see if it's reproducible on our end.

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version:
Windows version:

06/01/2009 09:55 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Vadim,

It appears to be an issue with VirtualBox and Remote Desktop. We will test further but there isn't anything we can correct in Automate that can workaround the problem.

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version:
Windows version:

12/01/2009 08:59 AM

Author Icon
ErikKjellquist
Journeyman (50-99)

Leonard,

I am seeing the same behavior in AM7 - certainly more of a convenience issue only as tasks for us are generally run unattended (overnight in a console session).  It's odd because I run other types of applications (Backup Exec, SQL server, etc) on a remote machine through RDP and do not see the same issues - minimizing the RDP window does not seem to have any effect on the desktop of the remote machine..

Category Survey

Erik Kjellquist
Win2K3R2 x86 - Automate Professional 9.0.1.11
 12/01/2009 09:12 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Erik,

Actually the problem is with how Remote Desktop uses its own screen redraw component. When you minimize the session, Remote Desktop stops redrawing the screen which it deems unnecessary. Once you maximize or restore the window, Remote Desktop will then redraw the screen in real time. The reason why the other applications are functioning properly is because they do not need to validate any objects on the screen to operate. Automate, if using interactive actions, will need to locate objects that Remote Desktop refuses to draw when minimized and will fail.

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version:
Windows version:

11/23/2011 11:49 PM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Running Interactive Tasks in Minimized Remote Desktop Windows

Category Survey
AutoMate 6 version:
Windows version:

Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1536 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1536 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog