post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to:Embed Screenshots in Email?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2005 07:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2005 07:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JamesMcFarlin

I'd like to be able to use the Automate Send Email action to send an email with 'dynamic Body-Content' (sort of like my ex-wife!). Namely, using an 'If Window Exist' flow, do a Key Press {Alt}{PrtScrn} (secret Windows key command to capture current (non-maximized) screen to buffer, then do a {Shift}{Insert} into email Body.

Can this be did?

Category Survey
 11/11/2005 08:48 AM

Author Icon
Adam Kosecki
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Yes, this can be done, it sounds like you konw exactly what to do. Are you stuck somewhere?

ALT+PrtScn will capture the currently focused window's contents instead of the whole screen. It's not necessarilly an un-maximized window...

Category Survey

-------------------------
Adam Kosecki
Network Automation, Inc.
 01/09/2006 08:51 AM

Author Icon
RonThureen

This is exactly what I need to do, how does one populate the body of the sendemail action with the contents of the clipboard?  That is, the clipboard holding a printscreen clip.

Or are you talking about opening an email message outside of Automate and manipulating that rather than using Automate's built in SMTP email step?

Category Survey
 01/09/2006 09:37 AM

Author Icon
HF_Aaron
AutoMate Coach(200+)

I couldnt get this to work. I tried putting the clipboard into a variable then that into the body with html check and unchecked. I tried opening paint and saving the file then using the use file as body option, with html checked and unchecked. Everytime I get this in the email (when I get anything at all) "BMNĂ–".

Sending it as an attachment seems to be to only way I can do it.

Category Survey

Edited: 01/09/2006 at 09:39 AM by HF_Aaron
 01/09/2006 09:47 AM

Author Icon
Adam Kosecki
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Ah, yes, you cannot paste a picture into the Send Email action. You will need to either:

a. Paste the picture in paint, save the file, and attach it to the AutoMate email or

b. Use AutoMate to send an email through Outlook where you could paste the print-screen right into the email body. Personally, I would choose (a).

Category Survey

Adam Kosecki
Network Automation, Inc.

Edited: 01/10/2006 at 04:00 PM by Adam Kosecki
 01/10/2006 02:22 PM

Author Icon
RonThureen

It appears that Automate's email action is incapable of sending a graphic file in the email body, only a link to a graphic file.  I suppose if after opening paint and pasting, you uploaded the file to a web server or saved it to a location where the user could open it directly - but essentially all you can email is a shortcut to a spot the user can already see by themselves.  The picture is not actually in the email.

I suppose that sending it as an attachment would work, if your users don't mind moving their fingers a fraction of an inch and waiting a second to open the attachment.  I guess I'll be exploring option B as option A does not put the image in the email body and I'm dealing with instant gratification junkees.  

Category Survey
 01/14/2006 06:52 AM

Author Icon
HF_Aaron
AutoMate Coach(200+)

Some email programs auto display attached Images anyways dont they? Not that I am sure thats a good thing.

Category Survey

Edited: 01/14/2006 at 06:52 AM by HF_Aaron
 05/11/2011 05:24 AM

Author Icon
AlPedini
n00b (>6 posts)

Hi, since this thread is a bit old I wonder if with the new Automate upgrades is possible to send an email with embebed images on it, as a part of its body.

If it's possible: How?

I don't understand Adam's option b

Thanks

Category Survey
 05/11/2011 09:34 AM

Author Icon
Rick Johnson
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Al,

There is not any new functionality in the software to embed an image within an email body.

However, you could have the message body be HTML - but that would only link to the image and not directly include it in the email, and the image would need to be uploaded to a server in order to be viewed when the email is read.

The option B referenced by Adam would require using the Interactivity actions to drive an external mail client such as Outlook. The idea is that you would generate your screen capture, run or focus the email client, send the necessary mouse/keyboard inputs to begin composing an email, and use the Paste function of the Clipboard action to embed the image into the mail body. The task would also drive the user interface of the mail client to send the email.

Adam's Option A, or the HTML body approach seem to be less complicated.
The more User Interface manipulation you use, the more opportunities there are for unexpected task execution, as the windows of the mail client may change due to updates, addons or plugins.

Category Survey

- Rick Johnson
Network Automation
 01/23/2014 09:43 AM

Author Icon
N i c k
Expert (100-199)

I was browsing the forums to see if NA came up with a solution for this. It appears not.

There is a work around.

There is a way to embed images using base64 and include in the Body of HTML.

Check this site out.

base64-image-converter

I was able to use the converter and include base64 in my automate task sendemail step.

Example below. Shows NA Logo

Category Survey

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1087 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1087 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog