post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Tips to FTP to non-Standard Servers (Mainframes, etc)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/11/2011 05:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/11/2011 05:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JacobusPieters
Artisan (200-499)

I though I just share some tips on how to use FTP to non-Windows servers (e.g. mainframes) since 'Comptability Mode' is no longer available in AutoMate 8. The tips below is specifically meant for OS2200 mainframes, but may also work for other machines.

1) You cannot use the standard FTP Upload or Download commands.
2) Start an FTP session with the Log On command
3) Select your transfer type (Ascii/Binary) using the FTP Advanced Activity and the select Ascii or Binary from FTP Command List.
3) Do the upload/download by using the FTP Advanced Activity and select Upload/Download from the FTP Command list.
4) Fill in the Source and target names and REMEMBER TO SURROUND EACH FIELD WITH A DOUBLE-QUOTE. " It will most likely not work if you leave out the ".
5) For my uploads, I had to select "Overwrite existing file", otherwise my upload would not work.
6) Remember to add Log Off command at the end.

I hope this will save somebody some time.

Category Survey
 04/12/2011 07:45 AM

Author Icon
Ronak Patel
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi JacobusPieters,

Thanks for sharing this information. FTP has been most violated protocol. Each server implements their own version of extra ftp commands. Most of them do implement raw ftp commands but not the full list. In our testing what we have found that FTP root directory does not have to be "/" it can be any directory 'test./' and it can contain any invalid file characters. When you use Ftp "Upload" or "Download" activity the Newer engine passes throw filter & regular expression engine, It also checks for whether Directory or File exist or not. With AS400 and Mainframe servers that can poss challenge since most of them do not have the newer raw ftp commands (e.g. Size). With AS400 we have seen some customers have to send specific Site commands to be sent before starting Upload or Download or Get Long list.

Ftp Advance activity acts like dos ftp where commands are directly sent to the FTP server without any processing done on them.

Let us know if you have any issue with your FTP Upload or Download we would try to address it ASAP.

Category Survey

-------------------------
// Ronak Patel,
// Automate Development Team
// Network Automation, Inc. - No Code, No Limits Business Process Automation
 05/25/2011 03:47 PM

Author Icon
JacobusPieters
Artisan (200-499)

Originally posted by: JacobusPieters

4) Fill in the Source and target names and REMEMBER TO SURROUND EACH FIELD WITH A DOUBLE-QUOTE. " It will most likely not work if you leave out the ".

I've also discovered that there must be EXACTLY 1 space beween the Source and target. Anything more and the upload aborts.

Category Survey
 10/27/2011 11:03 PM

Author Icon
ArthurPham
n00b (>6 posts)

I run into some issues to download data from the AS400 server.  I used the exact method "4) Fill in the Source and target names and REMEMBER TO SURROUND EACH FIELD WITH A DOUBLE-QUOTE", but it only allow me to get 1 files with the filename that I spell out and does not like to set  as *.* to get all files.  Any solutions?

Also, on the AS400 ftp, they required that I cd / to root first, then cd to the folder.  It works fine from command line but does not work on the workflow even I use the Advanced/Change Folder.

Your feedback is very appreciated.

Art

Category Survey
 11/01/2011 08:39 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi Arthur,

Would it be possible to setup a GoToAssist session so that we can take a closer look at this issue? If so please send an email to support@networkautomation.com with anytime you have available.

Category Survey
AutoMate 8 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 05/28/2013 02:34 PM

Author Icon
JasonDuvalle
Student (5-19 posts)

I can report that this has worked for me. Had to modify a few things, but it's important to use the "" around the file your pushing to the mainframe.

It boils down to %local_directory & local_file_process% %dst_mainframe_name%

or "c:\test\filename.txt" "'CSCT.TF1100.TRNSCODE.GS(+1)'" with the override file on the main frame. If you didn't do that, it would always give me the data set is already on server. It's odd that it gives me the issue because the (+1) tells it to numerate the file on the mainframe already.

I'm not a big mainframe guy, nor is it as wonderful as other servers!

I have another way where you create a variable called quotes using "" as the set to.

then it would look like %local_directory & local_file_process & quote & dst_mainframe_name% and that would give you the "space" you need to seperate the source dest variable on the upload command. If anyone wants me to post my AML file, I can clean the file up and do that.

This worked in both AWE 7 and AWE 8 using the Globalscape application for runtime.

My next thing is to do a dir "'CSCT.TF1100.TRNSCODE.GS(0)" so I can see the directory listing of the dataset on the mainframe. It's important for us to log this and with it being FTP, you can easily pipe this to a log that shows this before and after the transfers for non-repudiation.

Thanks,
Jason

Category Survey
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1254 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1254 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog