HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Schedules event forecasting
Topic Summary: anyone developed a report of forecasted schedule?
Created On: 08/24/2012 11:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/24/2012 11:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JohnScott
Artisan (200-499)

When we're planning patching and other service interruptions, we find ourselves asking the question, "When are the gaps when the AutoMate server is not going to be working on something?"

I haven't found the built-in Workflow Triggers report to be particularly helpful in answering this question, even though we have disciplined ourselves (mostly) to name the triggers to describe the timing.

Most of our jobs run off schedule triggers, so you'd think this wouldn't be too hard. Read the next trigger times from all the schedule trigger records, right? I've peeked in the DB, thinking I ought to be able to write it myself, and been confounded by the organization.

Has anyone developed a helpful forecast report for when scheduled workflows will run?

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 8 version: 8.0.1
Windows version: Windows 2003 R2
 08/24/2012 03:59 PM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi John,

Have you looked at the calendar functionality in the SMC? This shows all schedule triggers based on interval and/or specific dates.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 8 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 08/24/2012 05:01 PM

Author Icon
JohnScott
Artisan (200-499)

Thanks for pointing me to the Calendar. That is a feature in the neighborhood of my concern that I was not using. (When I first explored v8, I think I saw an empty Calendar (because of no history) and dismissed it.)

That sort of applies to my forecasting question because it gives a good, graphic depiction of past behavior. Since our lineup of jobs is fairly static, for us records of the past are a good predictor of the future. I will definitely make more use of this.

There is still room for a forecasting report. For instance, we have a couple jobs that are scheduled to run once a month. They aren't going to show up on the Calendar looking back over the previous week, and it will take a sharp eye to notice them on the Calendar in its Monthly setting.

Category Survey
 08/25/2012 10:34 AM

Author Icon
JeanDelfosse
Supreme Guru (1000+)

John,
by querying the database with ad hoc SQL queries, you can get more relevant info.
What would you be interested in ?

PS Sorry I leave for a few days and may not follow up soon..

Category Survey
Windows version:

Jean Delfosse - Automate Beta Tester
Win7 Pro 64 bits -Win XP Pro SP3 32 bits - AM8, AM7, BPA10, BPA9, BPA8, BPA7, AM6 Enterprise, AM4
 08/27/2012 10:09 AM

Author Icon
JohnScott
Artisan (200-499)

Jean, your simple statement that you would approach the problem via ad-hoc SQL has given me the courage to try again, and to make a breakthrough into what I'd previously dismissed as a too-complicated-for-me area.

I have created a version of what I'm looking for with the attached SQL query.

I am still lacking a level of sophistication that I would like to take it to, though. I expect that somewhere within this DB hides records that translate the values of ScheduleTriggerConstructs.ScheduleType into human-readable values. Yet none of the tables has a name that hints that it might have the answer I seek. Any clues?

Category Survey

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)
 08/30/2012 10:06 PM

Author Icon
JeanDelfosse
Supreme Guru (1000+)

John,
I'm pleased to see you could dig into the database.
But unfortunately I don't know of any human-readable lexicon inside the database.
All "ItemType" style of data elements are numbers that have no obvious meaning, and the only way I found to guess their meaning was to try and edit items in the SMC GUI and see what the result was in the database.

You can build your own translation table, and incorporate it in the query as illustrated below (this is a sample of a basic script that builds a query including a SELECT CASE's to translate some dataelement from the SQL objects reference table)

It would be nice that N/A releases some documentation about the database. But so far they did not.

Category Survey
Windows version:

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)

Jean Delfosse - Automate Beta Tester
Win7 Pro 64 bits -Win XP Pro SP3 32 bits - AM8, AM7, BPA10, BPA9, BPA8, BPA7, AM6 Enterprise, AM4
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1382 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1382 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog