HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Issue when importing workflow
Topic Summary: Importing previously exported bpa8 workflow causes crash and error message
Created On: 12/04/2013 01:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by DanielGrip, on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:52 AM

Answer:
Hi,

We're running 8.0.9.0.

When exporting a BPA8 workflow, then removing it and it's related tasks & conditions in BPA8 we then tried importing it into the same BPA8 SMS/Server as it was exported from, this is when the issue occurs.

I did find a workaround, importing tasks/workflows works every time IF and only if it's done via SMC on the server machine that is running the BPA8 server application.

12/04/2013 01:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DanielGrip
Master (500-999)

An error occurs when trying to import an previously exported workflow in BPA8.

I specifically made a new workflow, containing one trigger and one task and then tried to import it by rightclicking in the Workflow area in SMC and selecting "Import" and then the exported .ampkg file.

See attached image for the error message popup text.

Category Survey

Click for full image
Click for larger image

-------------------------
Daniel Grip
 12/04/2013 09:11 AM

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello Daniel,

Where are you importing these workflows from? The desktop? Another local driver? From a shared network drive?

If you created a new workflow that contained a trigger & task; was this not already done within Workflow Designer & Task Builder? Were these created on a different install of BPA 8 on another machine?

Are you possibly trying to import workflows that may already be in the SMC?

Please specify, thank you.

Category Survey

Valentineo McGowan | Technical Consultant
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1 213.738.6966 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 12/05/2013 12:09 AM

Author Icon
DanielGrip
Master (500-999)

Hi,

No, this workflow was exported from the same and only BPA8 server/SMC that we're using.
The workflow was exported, and then the existing workflow and related tasks/conditions etc were removed from the server via SMC.
Only after that did we try to import the exported workflow package that was saved locally om my desktop.

Let me explain why we did this, although it shouldn't matter since import/export of workflows should work anyway yes?

We currently have about 20 tasks and workflows on our BPA8 system, next week we will migrate our BPA7 system into this BPA8 server, and into the current BPA8 datastore (SQL server) using the datastore migration utility.
Since migrating one datastore to the other removes everything that is currently there, we need to export everything currently in our BPA8 system, and then after the migration from BPA7 and it's datastore into BPA8 and the SQL database used by BPA8 we're planning on manually importing all that was exported before the migration leaving us with one datastore containing everything.

If there is a better way of doing this that I'm unaware of then I'm open to suggestions
Thanks

Category Survey

Daniel Grip
 12/10/2013 11:34 AM

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello Daniel,

What version of BPA Server 8 are you running? The most current build is 8.0.9.0.
Do you receive the above error message every time you attempt to import workflows from BPA Server 7 into the SMC for 8?

Category Survey

12/11/2013 02:52 AM

Author Icon
DanielGrip
Master (500-999)

Answer Answer
Hi,

We're running 8.0.9.0.

When exporting a BPA8 workflow, then removing it and it's related tasks & conditions in BPA8 we then tried importing it into the same BPA8 SMS/Server as it was exported from, this is when the issue occurs.

I did find a workaround, importing tasks/workflows works every time IF and only if it's done via SMC on the server machine that is running the BPA8 server application.

Category Survey

Daniel Grip

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 05:06 AM by DanielGrip
 12/11/2013 04:12 PM

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello Daniel,

I'm confused. Aren't both instances from the same location? Are you not 'always' importing and exporting from the SMC w/in BPA Server 8 on the Server?
OR are you attempting to say that when you export and import you are accessing the server via RDP?

Category Survey

12/12/2013 02:03 AM

Author Icon
DanielGrip
Master (500-999)

Valentino,

Sorry if my explanation is missleading.

What I meant is that I usally work with the SMC on my own workstation, it's while trying to import/export items on this workstation that the error occurs.

If I instead log on to the server machine that is running the"BPA Execution/management server", start the SMC on it and do the exact same import/export no error occurs.

I'm of course connected to the same BPA8 server when trying to accomplish this on my workstation, and using the same account.

Anyway, this is not my biggest concern right now.
Instead our migration from BPA7 to BPA8 failed and we're stuck with an unstable BPA7 not beeing able to upgrade to BPA8 because of the issues I encountered during the migration utility process (See my other thread here..).

Category Survey

Daniel Grip
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1049 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1049 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog