Increase font size
Topic Title: Excel create workbook-- xls vs xlsx
Topic Summary: true 97-2003 content vs 2007 content with xls extension
Created On: 05/12/2015 01:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by Ricardo Castaneda, on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:48 PM

Answer:
Hi John,

If you would like to save the file in a specific format you will need to use the Run action to open the file. Once you have the file opened you can use interactive actions to mimic as if a user opened the file and save it using "Send Keystrokes" as an example.

Let us know if this works for you.
 05/12/2015 01:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JohnScott
Artisan (200-499)

I have my first occasion today to try to save dataset content to an Excel file. (I have other workflows that save to CSV.) When I use the Create Workbook/Close Workbook actions to create and save my file, it is making them with the default Excel 2007+ format of the Excel 2007 and 2010 versions I have on my server and my dev workstation, but it is setting the filenames to extension .xls.

I need to save this data to a genuine Excel 97-2003 format file, but on my server, I haven't been able to force it to do so.

Since there is no control for forcing the version in the Create Workbook or Close Workbook actions, I have tried working around this by using Send Keystrokes actions to drive the menu and dialog with ALT-key input. I can successfully force an Excel 97-2003 format save on my (Excel 2010) dev station this way, but on my (Excel 2007) agent server even this method results in a 2007+ formatted file with an xls filename extension.

I've tried using a 97 template in the Create Workbook step, but that isn't forcing it to save in the older file format.

I've searched the forums at v8 and v7 for threads from other folks who may have encountered this, but I'm not finding any. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 8 version: 8.0.1
Windows version: Windows 2003 R2

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)
 05/13/2015 10:52 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Answer Answer
Hi John,

If you would like to save the file in a specific format you will need to use the Run action to open the file. Once you have the file opened you can use interactive actions to mimic as if a user opened the file and save it using "Send Keystrokes" as an example.

Let us know if this works for you.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 05/19/2015 01:48 PM

Author Icon
JohnScott
Artisan (200-499)

I can get it to work the way you suggest.

I haven't been able to get it to act on the ALT-F, S or CTRL-S I send it through SendKeystrokes, but I'm working around that by closing the window and then Pressing the Yes button on the "do you want to save the doc before exiting?" dialog.

Category Survey
 05/19/2015 02:08 PM

Author Icon
Mary Manzano
HelpSystems

Hello John,

Can you please try adding a focus window before sending the keystrokes? 
It may be that AutoMate is sending the keystrokes but not to the Excel Window.

Please let us knwo if that helped.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 8 version:
Windows version:

Mary Manzano | Technical Consultant
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 05/19/2015 05:50 PM

Author Icon
JohnScott
Artisan (200-499)

Mary, loss of focus was my first theory as well. I had explicitly set focus on the window just a couple steps above this, then the steps since that were successfully and visibly inserting content into the spreadsheet (demonstrating that the window had focus), so it seemed unlikely. I have just gone back add added another Set Focus step immediately before a SendKeystrokes CTRL-S, and it didn't make a difference.

There's just something weird going on. The first ALT- or CTRL- keystroke I send is getting ignored, but when I had a series of them, the later ones were getting acted on by Excel, so that I was getting into unintended ALT-key territory.

Now that I've settled on another way that is working for me, I am disinclined to invest more effort in testing it further. (And I know you folks won't be changing this aging version even if we do pinpoint a bug.)

Category Survey
 05/20/2015 09:45 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi John,

Rather than using send keystrokes to send the alt key I would like for you to setup AutoMate to hold they alt key down then release it. I have placed a sample of the hold down and release keys below.

Note: Make sure to release they key after holding it down.

Let us know if that works for you.

Category Survey

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)

05/20/2015 11:14 AM

Author Icon
JohnScott
Artisan (200-499)

Yes, Ricardo. It looks like holding down the ALT key is working. (Though holding down the CTRL key to send a CTRL-S didn't seem to work.)
Thanks!

Category Survey

05/20/2015 11:28 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi John,

You may need to try the QuickCtrl- s in that case.

Category Survey

Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 2154 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 2154 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog