post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Task failed because: the agent is logged off and could not be logged on. Verify the username and password for the agent is correct.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/02/2011 09:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/02/2011 09:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RichardWest
Artisan (200-499)

I am getting the following error messages when a workflow or task is selected to execute on a particular agent:

5/2/2011 12:02:37 PM,Task 'Download Task' running on agent 'dp-server-1' failed because: the agent is logged off and could not be logged on. Verify the username and password for the agent is correct.

This system has been running workflows and tasks OK - even eariler today. However now these messages are appearing and nothing will run on the agent.

Nothing has changed on the server side as far as the agent password. Also it is my understanding that this password is really only a one time type of event. Once the agent is registered with the BPA server then a unique key is returned to the agent and stored in the registry. It is this key that is used for all autentication requests in the furture. This would mean that the password could be changed on the server without affecting existing agents.

I have tried stopping and restarting the BPAAgent8 service, however the error messages are still appearing.

This is not really a system that I can easily reboot during the day so I am posting this question in hope of understanding what exactly is going on and how I might be able to correct the issue.

Category Survey

-------------------------
Richard West

05/02/2011 04:10 PM

Author Icon
Rick Johnson
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Richard,

Are there any Windows Event Viewer entries which pertain to these logon failures?

Category Survey

- Rick Johnson
Network Automation
 05/03/2011 07:13 AM

Author Icon
RichardWest
Artisan (200-499)

Nothing is logged in the EventViewer on the agent system when this message appears, or when I try to mannually run a workflow or task. The only error message is the one that appears in the SMC window:

5/3/2011 10:11:11 AM,Task 'Download Workflow' running on agent 'dp-server-1' failed because: the agent is logged off and could not be logged on. Verify the username and password for the agent is correct.

Category Survey

Richard West

05/04/2011 11:41 AM

Author Icon
Rick Johnson
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Richard,

It may be possible that the credentials were not entered properly during the remote agent installation.

To correct this, stop the AutoMate BPA Server 8 Agent service on the agent machine in question. Then use RegEdit to open the following node: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Network Automation\BPA Agent 8\TaskService\Agent

Blank out the value for the AgentID field, and add the keys RegistrationUsername and RegistrationPassword. Set the appropariate SMC credentials for the RegistrationUsername and RegistrationPassword keys.

Restart the AutoMate BPA Server 8 Agent service on the agent machine and it should pass its credentials to the server and repopulate the AgentID field.

Category Survey

- Rick Johnson
Network Automation
 05/04/2011 12:16 PM

Author Icon
RichardWest
Artisan (200-499)

That seems to have corrected the issue with the agent not being able to run any tasks.

It concerns me that this occured though. This system was previously able to execute tasks from the BPA 8 server.

At least I know the steps necessary to "reset" the AgentID.

Now if we can get the agents working after the BPA server reboots I'll be good :-)

Category Survey

Richard West

05/04/2011 12:38 PM

Author Icon
Rick Johnson
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Richard,

Please let us know if this issue returns.

Category Survey

- Rick Johnson
Network Automation
 02/27/2012 11:47 AM

Author Icon
RobertGreenwood
Expert (100-199)

I have two VM servers each running automate BPA (8.0.1.503). Last week our server team tightened up Active Directory security by requiring password to be increased in length and contain special characters and forced expiration of existing passwords.

On one of the automate servers all I did was change the password for the default user in options to the new password. On the other server I did the same thing but every workflow after that failed with the message "the agent is logged off and could not be logged on. Verify the username and password for the agent is correct" I then downloaded the last version of BPA8 8.0.9.0 and installed that on the failing server.

This made no difference. Then I discovered that if I modified (actually entered the default user logon, not just select the default user option in the repository properties of a task the workflow ran successfully. That is the good news the bad news is I had to go into each individual workflow and make this change to allow the workflows to complete.

It is almost like the default user security works on one sever and not on the other. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Category Survey

Bob Greenwood
BPA8, W2K3 Server,
VMWare, XP Clients
 02/29/2012 09:39 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Robert,

The default user setting when inherited can be inherited from the server or the agent. Have you checked that the default user in the agent properties is interited as well? It seems that by you editing the workflow default users that you are overriding an inherited value elsewhere that may be incorrect.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 8 version:
Windows version:

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1493 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1493 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog