HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Delayed Triggering
Topic Summary: Trigger/launch/run a separate task LATER when conditions are/are not met
Created On: 09/12/2017 03:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/12/2017 03:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RonLee
Student (5-19 posts)

Function Request: Delayed Task Triggering

A colleague and I were trying to brainstorm a way to make this simple, but couldn't find one so we thought we'd ask for it.

In response to a condition test (flow) we want to have another task run the next day or later.

For [an admittedly weak] example:
If the sum of the sales teams' deposits is over $49,999 we will send each of the team members a $50 check.
Task A downloads data from our sales application, feeds it to our database, and then runs a query against that database.
If TotalWeek > $49,999 we want to cut checks Monday morning -- provided the money was actually received by the bank.
On Monday morning, Task B would download data from the bank and, if deposits > $49,999 the checks would be printed.
If TotalWeek < $49,999 the sales team missed the weekly goal and wouldn't receive the bonus checks.

Our conditions are more complex than that, but the gist is that IF Condition = Y we want to launch a separate task several hours later. My understanding is that if we use a WAIT command, Automate is either counting down minutes (or seconds or hours or whatever) or watching a clock -- both of which are consuming CPU while doing nothing. We have a lot of other tasks that occur during the day, so we would rather not have that server preoccupied with count-downs or clock-watching.

One approach I (incorrectly) thought was available was a subset of the Task commands. It would be a "Set Task Trigger" command to adjust the Trigger property of the specified task and thereby run the job once at the calculated time.

The other approach I (incorrectly) thought was available was a subset of the Wait commands. It would wait until a calculated (+18 hours) or parsed (Format(Now(),yyyyDDmm, +9) time and then launch the target task when the time occurred.

I realize it's possible to set various triggers in a task's properties; the key to this suggestion is making it possible for one task to set or change the launch conditions or triggers for another task in response to certain conditions.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw the idea to your developers as a future feature. The ideas are easy in concept; they're probably a lot harder to actually program than to contemplate.

Ron Lee
IT Systems Operator
 09/14/2017 06:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hello,

I apologize for the delayed response, we have gone ahead and added your feature request to our database (23173).

Thank you for your input.

-------------------------

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1571 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1571 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog