Increase font size
Topic Title: Encryption Failure
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/05/2016 01:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/05/2016 01:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WilhelmEvans
Journeyman (50-99)

I have tried every variation that Automate has in the cryptography option to encrypt a file and have our end user open it, however they are unable to decrypt.  If I use another program (AutoKrypt), they are able to open the file.  We are no longer using AutoKrypt and need an alternative since Automate seems to not be working either.  Does anyone know of a batch script I could run in Automate to .pgp encrypt the files and ftp to our client?  Before you ask, i did confirm we are using the correct public key. 

Category Survey
 12/05/2016 02:28 PM

Author Icon
Hamid Noorbakhsh
HelpSystems

Wilhelm,
Please attach the step(s) you are using. If you are using the correct 'public key', it should error out, so I am assuming you have successfully imported the public key into your keyrings and are using those? since you say you are using a public key, I am also assuming you are either using 'PGP Key' OR the 'OpenPGP Key' option?
Is it successfully executing the step? Or is that what you are having issues with? Seems like you are creating an encrypted file and sending it to them and they can't decrypt?

Can you also check the filesize of the encrypted file. For testing purposes, go ahead and use the 'Armor' option, then open the encrypted file in notepad and see what you have.

I appreciate your time in testing this out to ensure all settings are correct.

Category Survey
AutoMate 9 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------
Thank you for choosing AutoMate

Hamid Noorbakhsh | Senior Software Engineer
AutoMate | A Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 12/05/2016 03:52 PM

Author Icon
WilhelmEvans
Journeyman (50-99)

i can encrypt and ftp the file to the client using the key they provided, but they are not able to open it on thier end.  We spent hours trying every option Automate has, even changing all the algorythyms in every combination. 

I do not know what the Armor option is.  what is that?

Category Survey
 12/05/2016 03:55 PM

Author Icon
WilhelmEvans
Journeyman (50-99)

not sure if the screen shot got attached.

Category Survey

Click for full image
Click for larger image

12/05/2016 04:05 PM

Author Icon
Hamid Noorbakhsh
HelpSystems

Wilhelm,
You are using a .asc file, which is an armored (ascii) file, which contains the public key only is a human readable format. You need to import this to your public keyring. Please grab the other software keyrings, import the key and use those keyrings. If the public key is in those keyrings, just use them. AutoMate uses keyrings (so do other software, but they know where they are since they created them, but AutoMate needs to be pointed to them). Please read your other software documentation to see where they store the keyrings and point to those. That would be the simplest way.

Category Survey
AutoMate 9 version:
Windows version:

12/05/2016 05:00 PM

Author Icon
WilhelmEvans
Journeyman (50-99)

to be honest, i know nothing about key rings.  is there a key ring in automate.  i only have the one public key they gave me.  any help on this would greatly be appreciated!

Category Survey
 12/06/2016 09:09 AM

Author Icon
Hamid Noorbakhsh
HelpSystems

Wilhelm,
AutoMate is used for automation of repetitive work and keyrings is a once a lifetime creation, so this is not included as part of our software. Anyone using cryptography will have the keyrings created by the desktop software they use. If you use PGPDesktop, it creates the keyring pair for you and knows where they are (so do all other desktop apps that are for cryptography). They use the keyrings in the background, so if you point to a key as yuo have, they import it to your keyring on the fly and then use it. We don't do that since we still need access to know where you have keyrings! There is keyring management software out there, but still you need to know where the keyrings are. You can create empty ones and just add the keys you need and use those to not mix your personal with work keyrings.
I am not endorsing any particular software here, but for free usage I use gpg4win and it works fine. They do not tell you direct way where they put the keyrings, but usually they are in "C:\Users\{your user name here}\AppData\Roaming\gnupg\". They are hidden and you have find them unfortunately. The issue is not the keyrings, since an empty pair (public and private) can be provided, but you will need a management app to import the key.

If you are having issues still after searching and choosing your own key management app (which you have many options, so give it a go) and you should since this might not be a one time key importing for you, please contact support.

Category Survey
AutoMate 9 version:
Windows version:

12/06/2016 09:58 AM

Author Icon
WilhelmEvans
Journeyman (50-99)

ok,  i used Kleopatra to encrypt the file and sent it to the client and they were able to open it, but still nothing with Automate.  I would be willing to do a screenshare if you have the time help out the undeserving. 

Category Survey
 12/06/2016 11:40 AM

Author Icon
Hamid Noorbakhsh
HelpSystems

Well if you used Kleopatra, then you have successfully imported your key in your keyrings. So go to "C:\Users\{your user name here}\AppData\Roaming\gnupg\" and your keys are there.

In the encrypt action, where it says public 'keyring files' just navigate to that folder and for file type on bottom, chose show all files, and chose 'pubring.gpg' for your public keyring and 'secring.gpg' as your secret ring and you are set. Once you do that, you should be able to click on the 'select recipients' and add the recipient through the UI. I am just going from your screenshot exactly.

You are almost there (have the keyrings, have the key imported), then you can automate it!

Category Survey
AutoMate 9 version:
Windows version:

Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1403 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1403 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog