post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Task doesn't write file to hard disk when running from Task Administrator
Topic Summary: - works fine if running from Task Builder
Created On: 07/07/2018 10:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/07/2018 10:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ErikLundstrom
Journeyman (50-99)

I have a task that used to execute fine. However, after a computer crash it no longer works properly. I isolated the problematic action and have attached it here.

When I run this simple tasks using the Task Builder (click on Run) the command prompt opens up, filebot.cmd is properly executed, and the log file (temp.txt) is written to the hard disk.

However, if I run this simple task from the Task Administrator, the command prompt opens up, filebot.cmd is properly executed, but the log file (temp.txt) is not written to the hard disk.

Why is the log file now only written when running from the Task Builder but not from the Task Administrator? What is the difference in function between the two?

p.s. As a test: A simple write to text file works fine from the Task Administrator.

Category Survey
AutoMate 9 version: 9.0.5
Windows version: Windows 7

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)
 07/09/2018 11:59 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hello Erik,

Have you tried adding a check for "Run with highest privileges"

Right click on the Task in question --> Select Properties --> Select Logon --> Scroll down

Let us know if that works for you.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 07/09/2018 02:28 PM

Author Icon
ErikLundstrom
Journeyman (50-99)

Hello Ricardo,
I tried your suggestion to run with highest privileges, but the file is still not written.

It is very strange as this used to work fine up until a few days ago after a computer crash....

EDIT: I copied the action in the test task shown above and played around with the save path (and disabled the original action).
I was able to save the file on a different drive. I then went back to the original drive and tried several different directories, and it suddenly it started to work in the original directory.
I then enabled the original action again and now this also worked (thus, there wasn't a typo in the original path).
This is very strange. Not sure why it stopped working and then started working again - nothing changed as far as I know....

Category Survey

Edited: 07/09/2018 at 03:09 PM by ErikLundstrom
 07/11/2018 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello Erik,

The behavior you describe is not normal behavior. Is it possible the original location had updates as far as permissions or privileges. Updates or modifications?

Category Survey

-------------------------

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 07/11/2018 03:03 PM

Author Icon
ErikLundstrom
Journeyman (50-99)

Originally posted by: Alex Escalante

Hello Erik,

The behavior you describe is not normal behavior. Is it possible the original location had updates as far as permissions or privileges. Updates or modifications?

The location was an external USB hard drive. As far as I know, there has not been any changes to permission and privileges.
Another peculiarity (probably not related) is that the keyboard shortcut to start the task sometimes doesn't work (nothing happens - I need to start it form Task Administrator. The solution then is to reboot for it to work again..

In any case, everything is working again, so it is difficult to troubleshoot.
I will get back to this post if this happens again.

Category Survey
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 563 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 563 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog