Increase font size
Topic Title: Logging
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/01/2013 12:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/01/2013 12:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DonHavard
Student (5-19 posts)

Hey folks - So I'm somewhat new to BPA server, so apologies if this is a stupid question, but I've looked everywhere and can't find the information I am looking for.

Does BPA server keep details logs of the tasks that run?  For example, keeping track of all the details you would see in the debugger (like variable values, error information, etc)?  For instance, I have a task that gets triggered at a specific time in the middle of the night.  The task has many steps to it.  When that runs, the task fails at some random step.  Looking at the report tab for the execution status all I can see is that if failed at a particular step for whatever reason, but the cause for the failure might have been many steps before that and the only way to determine that is to have detailed logs.  In this instance, running through the debugger to see why it failed isn't an option because those tasks that happened previously cannot be rerun.  

So does BPA keep that level of detailed logging?  If so, where do I find it?

Category Survey
 02/02/2013 12:46 PM

Author Icon
JeanDelfosse
Supreme Guru (1000+)

Don,
logging does not include all details that can be shown in the task builder "Output" pane.
The level of logging can be specified in the SMC options, but is limited at workflow and task level. It does not log step level.

Of course this should help for debugging, but it is not currently available, as far as I know.

If you need logging some additional information, you can do it by including "Write to log" actions in your tasks.
Also on step failure (action on error pane) you can log a customized message that may include the values of some variable(s)

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------
Jean Delfosse - Automate Beta Tester
Win7 Pro 64 bits -Win XP Pro SP3 32 bits - AM8, AM7, BPA10, BPA9, BPA8, BPA7, AM6 Enterprise, AM4
 02/04/2013 05:53 AM

Author Icon
DonHavard
Student (5-19 posts)

Thanks Jean - 

I was playing with the logging output details in the SMC, and you are correct... this only helps with the debugging piece, not the normal runtime logging.

For the various steps in the task I'm testing with I've set up the logging to the Automate Log on failure, made it fail on purpose (for testing), but now how do I view the log?  I can't seem to find anywhere in the GUI that the information is available.

Thanks!

Category Survey
 02/04/2013 09:21 AM

Author Icon
JeanDelfosse
Supreme Guru (1000+)

Don,
I just discover that the "on error write to log" does not go anywhere.
I would have expected to find in in the "Execution Events" report, but it is not there.
See this picture
I suspect it is a bug.

The task I tested with is a single line task named "FailingTask" AML below.

For sure N/A could tell more about it.

Considering your problem, the only possibility left would be that you write your own log in a txt file.

Category Survey
Windows version:

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)

Jean Delfosse - Automate Beta Tester
Win7 Pro 64 bits -Win XP Pro SP3 32 bits - AM8, AM7, BPA10, BPA9, BPA8, BPA7, AM6 Enterprise, AM4
 02/05/2013 09:29 AM

Author Icon
Liz Casale
AUTOMATE EMPLOYEE

Hi Don/Jean,

We have tested and verified that the Automate Error log is not being written to. This has been added to our defect database to be fixed in an upcoming release. We apologize for the inconvenience. Write to Event Viewer Log is working at this time.

Category Survey

Liz Casale
Technical Support Representative
(213) 738-6966
Network Automation, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AM5 5.5.5.1; AM6 6.2.8.0; AM7 7.1.3.0; AM8 8.0.9.0; AM9 9.0.3.4
BPA7 7.1.3.0; BPA8 8.0.9.0; BPA9 9.0.3.4
 08/12/2014 06:35 AM

Author Icon
DavidPecenka
n00b (>6 posts)

Please give the "Automate Event Log" from Task Admin in BPA9 to far more expensive BPA Server 9 ... I am totally missing the point replacing custom GUI fit for purpose by generic Windows Event viewer logging..... perhaps I am just missing some icon/setting somewhere to have a detailed Task/workflow logging.

Category Survey
Windows version:
 08/12/2014 07:28 AM

Author Icon
BenjaminKorper
Artisan (200-499)

Hi David,

We currently write all the logging ourselves to textfiles using "Write to file".
For error logging we set every step to "On error, Goto Label: Error" and after that label we do what is attached to the code.

Regards,

Benjamin

Category Survey

Task Steps: (Right click, Select All, Copy to copy to the clipboard. Steps can then be pasted into the AutoMate Task Builder)

02/12/2016 02:33 AM

Author Icon
RickardWahlberg
Apprentice (20-49)

I know this is a really old post, but...

How do you prevent the task from going into the error handling label when there are no errors?
Are you perhaps also checking for the existance of %AMError.ErrorNumber% before the label, or something?

(I should also note that I'm using Automate and not Automate BPA, so perhaps works differently.

Category Survey
Windows version:

02/12/2016 02:58 AM

Author Icon
BenjaminKorper
Artisan (200-499)

We use the stop task action before the error handling.

Category Survey

02/12/2016 03:39 AM

Author Icon
RickardWahlberg
Apprentice (20-49)

Ah, obviously!

I was looking for that kind of action but must have been blind because somehow didn't see it.

thx.

Category Survey
Windows version:
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1514 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1514 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog