post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BPA9 Workflow / Condition / Process Exclusions, when to use what?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/07/2014 06:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/07/2014 06:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Edward Hulleman
Artisan (200-499)

In this threat I got some of my answers but it is yet not complete:
http://forums.networkautomatio...atid=51&threadid=9691

I added a workflow Exclusion but I noticed it was applied to all workflows although in the property screen it does not say 'Inherited' like it does with the other Workflow properties.

I just want to apply it to one workflow.

Underneath the "Workflow Properties"-section there is a "Default Condition Properties " section, a "Default Task Properties" section and a "Default Process Properties" section all with an 'Exclusion' option. But the Help doesn't really explain when to use what. Can someone give a clear explanation how all these different exclusions should be used?

Thanks,

Edward

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version: 9.0.5
Windows version: Windows Server 2012
 08/07/2014 06:54 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Edward,

If you are configuring the Worflow Exclusions from Option > Default Properties > Default Workflow Properties > Workflow Exclusions then you are configuring a default property for ALL workflows. Any of the objects in the Options > Default Properties section will apply to all objects in BPA Server. If you want to set the exclusion at a specific object level only, then you can do so from the properties section of the specific workflow, task or condition.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 08/07/2014 07:58 AM

Author Icon
Edward Hulleman
Artisan (200-499)

So if I have a workflow with three tasks in it and I set an exclusion on task level then this is for all three tasks ?

And what exactly is a process exclusion?

Category Survey
 08/07/2014 09:42 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Edward,

Setting the exclusion at the task level where? You need to be specific as to where you are setting the exclusion so I can provide the right explanation. Task exclusions can be set at the following locations:

Options > Default Properties > Default Task Properties > Task Exclusions
Workflows > [Workflow] > Default Task Properties > Task Exclusions
Repository > Tasks > [Task] > Task Properties > Task Exclusions

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version:
Windows version:

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 08/08/2014 05:50 AM

Author Icon
Edward Hulleman
Artisan (200-499)

Thanks Leonard,

For future reference, I tried all options:

Options > Default Properties > Default Task Properties > Task Exclusions When you put an exclusion here I would expect this is for all Workflow, and it is.

Workflows > [Workflow] > Default Task Properties > Task Exclusions
This suggests you add an exclusion to just this workflow, but no: they are applied to all

Repository > Tasks > [Task] > Task Properties > Task Exclusions
Yes, this works, it is only applied to the certain task.

But say I have a workflow with three tasks, then I should put an exclusion on all three tasks? Why is it not possible to put an exclusion on just one Workflow? Or if I can, I still don't know how.

Category Survey
 08/08/2014 06:39 AM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello Edward,

If you right click on the specific workflow and select properties, there is a field labeled workflow properties. In this field there is an option named workflow exclusions. This is where you would configure exclusions for only that particular workflow. I have attached a picture to this post for your reference.

Category Survey

Click for full image
Click for larger image

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 08/08/2014 11:19 AM

Author Icon
Edward Hulleman
Artisan (200-499)

Apparently it work differently at our installation Alex.

When I add an Exclusion (two time ranges, one from 12:00 AM to 8:00 AM and the other from 7 PM to 11:59 PM) the way you said, then I click 'Back' and then go again to Workflow Exclusions I see them double (print screen).

When I go to another workflow, I see the exclusion there as well (2nd print screen).
They appear at all workflows although I added them exactly like you said at Workflow Properties.

I tried different kind of exclusions but they all do the same thing: they get doubled on the workflow that I enter them on and also appear on the others.

Category Survey
 08/08/2014 02:50 PM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Please confirm your version number. You may do so by clicking on "Help" in the SMC, then selecting "about". The version number will be in the bottom left corner of the screen that pops up.

Category Survey

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 08/11/2014 07:04 AM

Author Icon
Edward Hulleman
Artisan (200-499)

Version is: 9.0.5.4
Windows: Windows Server 2012, 64 bit

Category Survey
 08/11/2014 07:08 AM

Author Icon
Edward Hulleman
Artisan (200-499)

Oh my, I had to restart the server because it hang, now I am testing it again and the exclusions don't appear double anymore on the original workflow and it is just on the one workflow and not on all anymore.

So problem is solved by restarting the server :-(

Category Survey
 08/11/2014 08:10 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi Edward,

Please keep us updated on this issue.

Category Survey

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 04/29/2015 12:24 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

I too, am trying to understand this as the Help isn't clear.

What is the difference between Workflow, Condition, Task and Process Exclusions and when would you ideally use each one?

If I have a workflow that I want to run every two hours between 7am and 7pm, is it better to have multiple schedule triggers for the exact time, or create one schedule to run hourly at 2 hour intervals and then set an exclusion which includes 7pm to 12am, and 12:01am to 6:59am, and another exclusion for weekends?

Category Survey
Windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2

<html />
 05/01/2015 02:13 PM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi James,

I would suggest you have one trigger (2 hour interval) with 2 workflow exclusions:

Exclusions:
1. 12:00am - 6:59am
2. 7:00pm - 11:59pm

Task Exclusions: Enables exclusions to be set within the task level. This allows you to specify on what months, days, weekdays or time intervals to disable triggering for the task. Provided ranges are separate and independent from each other (i.e. specifying both December and Fridays will lead to exclusion of all Fridays and all days of December, not merely all Fridays of December). Multiple exclusions can be applied.

Default Task Exclusions properties can be accessed from Server Management Console by selecting Options -> Default Properties -> Default Task Properties -> Task Exclusions. These properties can be accessed for an individual task via the Repository section of Server Management Console by right-clicking a given task and selecting Go to -> Task Exclusions.

Workflow Exclusions: Enables exclusions to be set within the workflow level. This allows you to specify on what months, days, weekdays or time intervals to disable triggering for the workflow. Provided ranges are separate and independent from each other (i.e. specifying both December and Fridays will lead to exclusion of all Fridays and all days of December, not merely all Fridays of December).

Workflow Exclusions properties can be accessed by navigating to Options -> Default Properties -> Default Workflow Properties -> Workflow Exclusions.

Process Exclusions: Enables exclusions to be set within the process level. This allows you to specify on what months, days, weekdays or time intervals to disable triggering for the process. Provided ranges are separate and independent from each other (i.e. specifying both December and Fridays will lead to exclusion of all Fridays and all days of December, not merely all Fridays of December). Multiple exclusions can be applied.

To access Process Exclusions, navigate to Options -> Default Properties -> Default Process Properties -> Process Exclusions.

Condition Exclusion: Prevents events or conditions from triggering workflow execution at the specified date/time. Allows you to dictate on what months, days, weekdays or time intervals to disable triggering for a task/workflow. Provided ranges are separate and independent from each other (i.e. specifying both December and Fridays will lead to exclusion of all Fridays and all days of December, not merely all Fridays of December). Multiple exclusions can be applied.

To access Condition Exclusions, navigate to Options -> Default Properties -> Default Condition Properties -> Condition Exclusions.

Let us know if that helps you.

Category Survey

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 05/01/2015 02:18 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Thanks Ricardo for the detailed explanation, although I'm not sure that helps me a lot.

I suppose my confusion lies in the thinking that Workflows are the foundation of AutoMate/BPA Server, and that you don't have automated tasks that run outside of a workflow.

Any task/process/condition is going to run within a workflow anyway, right? So, with that thinking, what's the point of any exclusion type other than workflow exclusions? Can you provide some realistic examples where you'd use each type?

Thanks,

James

Category Survey
Windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2

<html />
 05/06/2015 08:33 AM

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello James,

Let's say you have a workflow, it has a condition and two tasks. One task executes every time the condition is met Monday through Friday 8.00am to 5.00pm.
The second task executes every time the condition is met Monday through Friday 5.01pm to 7.59am and all day Saturday and Sunday.

There are a myriad of possibilities wherein our clients use the task and condition exclusions depending on when they want OR do not want their respective processes to execute within their environment.

Category Survey

Valentineo McGowan | Technical Consultant
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1 213.738.6966 | F: +1.213.738.7665
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1692 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1692 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog