Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrade from v9 to v10
Topic Summary: Preferred method?
Created On: 03/31/2015 01:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/31/2015 01:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

As I currently understand it, there are basically 2 ways to upgrade an instance of v9 to v10. The common item is that BPA Server 10 must first be installed. From there, I understand the jobs can individually be exported from v9, and then imported into v10, during which the workflow(s) get upgraded to the v10 format.

Or - the database migration utility can be used to do the whole thing at once.

What are the pros and cons of each? Some questions I have are:

Holiday configuration: My understanding is that this is information that is stored in a text file on the server. Does this have to be manually copied over to the new instance or is there some process during the migration that includes such information?

Job history: Is it preserved in both upgrade methods?

Next scheduled run-time: If I export a workflow from v9 to v10, and the next scheduled run time for that job is 2 hours from the point of export - does that information get preserved when it's imported into v10?

These are just a few questions I can think of initially - are there other concerns I should be aware of? I'm hoping to start this process in the next week or two and would like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks,

James

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version: 9.0.5
Windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2

-------------------------
<html />
 04/02/2015 01:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello James,

Question:
Holiday configuration: My understanding is that this is information that is stored in a text file on the server. Does this have to be manually copied over to the new instance or is there some process during the migration that includes such information?
Answer:
Typically the information contained within the 'Holidays.aho' file is not migrated when using the DatastoreMigrationUtility. This information exists outside of the database.
I would suggest once you have the new install of BPA Server 10 up and connected to the DB, stop all services and copy over and overwrite the default Holidays.aho file residing in the 'ProgramData\AutoMate BPA Server 10' directory and restart the services accordingly.

Question:
Job history: Is it preserved in both upgrade methods?
Answer:
All reporting on the execution/failure of Conditions, Tasks and Workflows is stored in the DB. This will only exist within the new installation of BPA Server 10 if the DatastoreMigrationUtility is used to migrated data from v9 to v10.
The workflow objects themselves do not contain 'job history'.

Question:
Next scheduled run-time: If I export a workflow from v9 to v10, and the next scheduled run time for that job is 2 hours from the point of export - does that information get preserved when it's imported into v10?
Answer:
Allow me to clarify a portion of your question to: "If I export a workflow from v9 to v10, and the next scheduled run time for that job is 2 hours from the point of importing that task into v10..."
Yes, the information for the Scheduled Condition is contained within the AML code contained within the *.ampkg from the workflow itself upon 'export'. Which means it will then fire as designed when that 'time interval' is reached.

If you have more bullet points to discuss feel free to post them here. We will be glad to answer them.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Valentineo McGowan | Technical Consultant
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1 213.738.6966 | F: +1.213.738.7665
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1486 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1486 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog