post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is there a way to monitor task agent status without using Server Management Console?
Topic Summary: task agent offline while server agent still up.
Created On: 04/13/2015 08:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/13/2015 08:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HanOu
n00b (>6 posts)

We recently experienced situation that server agent is up and running, but one of task agent was offline. But I can't tell the task agent was offline, unless I login to server management Console and click on the agent tab.
Does anyone has any method to monitor task agent status without manually login to server management console? Like a script way?

Thanks,

Han

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version: 9.0.4
Windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2
 04/14/2015 02:29 PM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hi Han,

How many agents do you have? One option you have is to have each agent check up on each other.

Would that setup work for you?

Category Survey

-------------------------

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
 04/15/2015 06:57 AM

Author Icon
HanOu
n00b (>6 posts)

Hi Ricardo,
I have situation on 1 server that have 5 or 6 task agents, some of them reconnect to remote servers. Can you please explain in detail how I can set up to have each agent check up on each other?

Thanks,

Han

Category Survey
 04/15/2015 01:22 PM

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello HanOu,

Are you not being notified by email when a workflow/task is unable to execute because a Remote Agent is disabled/unavailable?
An error message is written to the Windows Event > Application log AND an email is sent to the email address specified in the SMC.

Make sure you have these preferences set:
Options > Server Settings > SMTP
Options > Default Properties > Default Workflow Properties > On Workflow Error
Options > Default Properties > Default Workflow Item Properties > Error Causes (Under Agent make sure all are selected)
Options > Default Properties > Default Workflow Item Properties > On Error (Make sure Fail workflow is selected)

Category Survey

Valentineo McGowan | Technical Consultant
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1 213.738.6966 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 04/16/2015 08:32 AM

Author Icon
HanOu
n00b (>6 posts)

Hi Valentineo,
Thanks for the note. I check all 4 suggestions from your list. In option, the only thing in agent session I didn't checked was 'Time exclusion' option. We do get email, but sometime it got buried with all other notifications. And this notification of email depends on someone checking the email.
What I was hoping for was a method of finding out all task agents status from multiple servers by 1 step, and I can execute it whenever I want.

For example, I can use SC command to check multiple remote servers' automate BPA server agent's status from any remote location. And I was hoping I can achieve the similar situation for task agents as well.

Thanks,

Han

Category Survey
 04/17/2015 12:23 PM

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello Han,

You could use the Services action to 'Get State' of the 'AutoMate BPA Server 9 Agent' running on the remote machine in question and write it to a variable for later use in a report (written out to a file) or email.

Here is more information on the Services action:
http://www.networkautomation.c...p/Services_-_Main.htm

You may also choose to Ping the machine as well.
http://www.networkautomation.c...work/Ping_machine.htm

Category Survey

04/20/2015 01:03 PM

Author Icon
HanOu
n00b (>6 posts)

Hi Valentineo,
I already know your first suggestion on monitoring server agent. I am more focus on monitoring the task agents. As I mentioned in the beginning of my post, I had experience that when server agent is still up and running, the task agent was offline. And I can't see task agent status until I login the automate management console and click on the agent tab. This is not usually happen, but there is definitely situation that there will be disconnection between task agent and server agent. In most of the case, the server agent is still up, while the task agent is offline.

Thanks,

Han

Category Survey
 04/22/2015 01:16 PM

Author Icon
Valentineo McGowan
HelpSystems

Hello Han,

When you say 'task agent' do you mean the Remote Agent machine that was initially deployed from the SMC and executes tasks on said remote workstation in question wherein only the 'Agent' software from the BPA Server installation is installed?

If so, then we are speaking of the same thing. If you are noticing that your 'task agents' (remote agent) which are viewed from the Agents tab within the SMC are sometime offline and you know that those machines are indeed up and receiving power you then want to verify that the 'service' for the 'task agent' is running you could then 'Get State' of the 'AutoMate BPA Server 9 Agent' 'service' running on the remote machine in question.

It would seem we should be looking at root cause why the remote agents are appearing offline. Do you do anything to bring them back OR do they become available on their own? If so, there may be some connectivity issues occurring across the network.
Have you viewed the Windows Event Viewer Applications log of one of the remote agent when it is displayed as 'offline' in the Agents tab to determine root cause? What error(s) if any are being written?
The Agents should be connected at all times as long as both the Execution and Agent services are up and running on both machines.

Category Survey

Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 2533 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 2533 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog