post all new threads in our new
HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Are there any variables that get set I can pass when a Schedule is invoked?
Topic Summary: Scheduler BPA Server 9
Created On: 06/17/2015 08:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/17/2015 08:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DavidRoye
n00b (>6 posts)

I would like to have a single task that would emcompass many schedules for each simlar event, the batching printing of files.  The procesing tasks are excatly the same.  The only thing that changes is when the particular batch is printed and the control file that has the information of what batches ect to print.  

So when Schedule One is tripped it passes control to a one line task that sets the control file name.  Then it passes that information with the file name to the Batch Print task that uses the file to prints the batch.

When Schedule Two kicks off it it pass control to a different one line task to set the file name to a different Control file.  Then that task will flow to the same Batch Print task.

I will have to have as many Schedules and File Naming task as I have control files. 

Does the Scheduler create or any data when it is tripped that can be used in the flow it feeds into.   I am not clear with the docuementation that it does.  Can someone show me how I can feed mupliple Schedules to single task and have some data that is created when the schedule is trip that lingers and I can process in that single task. 

I want to avoid what is I am building now in the picture attached. 

Thanks. 

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version: 9.0.5
Windows version: Windows Server 2012 R2

Click for full image
Click for larger image

06/18/2015 02:50 PM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello David,

What determines the control file name?

We suggest using the "if" action to evaluate which control file name was generated then executing the necessary steps afterwards.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 06/18/2015 03:31 PM

Author Icon
DavidRoye
n00b (>6 posts)

Thanks Alex.  What kicks things off is the schedule the time of day.  Once a day during off hours the print queues are to be clear tyoe by type, each at its appointed time.  We were looking for a flexible way to change the times if we wanted.  You are suggesting would require use to recode the IF logic.  But the key is the schedule kicks things off.  Any other ideas or thoughts. 

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version: 9.0.5
Windows version: Windows Server 2012 R2
 06/18/2015 07:35 PM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi David,

Unfortunately, there isn't any information sent from the schedule trigger other than that it started and whether or not it was late. What is the interval of the schedule triggers? Are you having a separate print queue cleared every hour, every 15 minutes, etc? The reason I ask if because you can build a scenario off of 1 trigger.

As an example, let's say you have 3 print queues:

print1
print2
print3

And you want to clear print1 on the first hour, print2 on the second hour, and so on. You build a schedule trigger to run hourly and exclude the hours outside of when you want the workflow/task. Create a variable in the initial task that lists all of the queues with a delimiter (comma, new line, etc.). Process the first queue in the list and then write to a file the remaining queues from the list. Your initial task will check for that file first and, if not present, run against the variable list. But, if the file is present, the task will run against the file list. Each time a print queue is processed, the file is overwritten with only the outstanding queues from the list. When the list is empty, the file is deleted and the task will run from the variable list again...rinse and repeat.

Does that make sense? This allows you to only have to update the variable list and/or the one schedule trigger.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version:
Windows version:

-------------------------

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 1927 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 1927 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog