HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Connecting 2 instances of BPA Server to the same database
Topic Summary: Is it possible to do this?
Created On: 07/10/2015 11:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/10/2015 11:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AlejandroVillarreal
Journeyman (50-99)

Is it possible to have 2 instances of BPA Server running in different machines, sharing a single SQL database? The intention is to decrease the load on any particular Execution Service,, but we want to make sure this configuration is possible before trying to build it.

EDIT: I mean sharing the same *BPA* database.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version: 9.0.5
Windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2

Edited: 07/10/2015 at 12:03 PM by AlejandroVillarreal
 07/10/2015 11:59 AM

Author Icon
TonGordon
Journeyman (50-99)

I would say absolutely, yes it's possible. I would be careful about table enque's, or depending what kind of what updates you're doing, row enque's. Massive inserts to different tables should be fine. But yes two agent machines should be able to write to the same database (Oracle, MS Sql?) at the same time. You're talking about launching two Worflows, one on one agent, another on another agent updating a database that is either external to both agents or resides on one of the agents, right?

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 9 version:
Windows version:
 07/10/2015 12:01 PM

Author Icon
TonGordon
Journeyman (50-99)

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. You're talking about the database that runs BPA Server. The vendor will have to answer that question.

Category Survey
Windows version:
 07/10/2015 12:02 PM

Author Icon
AlejandroVillarreal
Journeyman (50-99)

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant 2 instances sharing the same *BPA* database, where the workflows and other objects reside. I can see how to have N number of agents share an external database where they're doing operations, that's more a development problem, but what we want to do is to reduce the load on our Execution Server without having to split everything into 2 separate, independent environments that know nothing about each other.

Category Survey
 07/14/2015 12:31 PM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello Alejandro,

Can you please elaborate on "reduce the load on our execution server"? Do you mean the work that is running on the server? IF so, if there is also an agent on the same server, it is best to move the agent to a remote machine, this way you can leave the server just for execution server functions.

If you are trying to run two instances live at the same time, while connected to the same database, then this will not be possible.

If you are trying to setup a "failover" scenario, then it is possible however, the "failover agents" will appear as offline and will not run live until the main installation goes down.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 07/15/2015 08:42 AM

Author Icon
AlejandroVillarreal
Journeyman (50-99)

The agent is separate, but the Execution Server still crashes. And I think the symptoms make it very clear that the problem is not a constant conflict of resources between agent and Execution Server, but a problem with the Execution Server itself leaking memory and starting to fail after a couple of days of running normally. We have an open ticket to try to deal with this issue, but it hasn't been resolved yet.

As for the impossibility of running 2 instances against the same DB, that's what I thought, I just wanted to confirm.

And regarding the failover scenario, can you elaborate on how exactly would that work and be set up?

Category Survey
 07/15/2015 09:18 AM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello Alejandro,

We will continue working with you through the ticket that you have currently open.

Regarding failover, here is a link to provide more insight:

http://www.networkautomation.c...Resources/Failover.htm

Category Survey

07/15/2015 09:33 AM

Author Icon
AlejandroVillarreal
Journeyman (50-99)

Alex - what would happen in the failover scenario if I have 2 remote agents, one of them failed to connect to the primary Execution Server for whatever reason and went to the second one, while the other agent could still connect to the first Execution Server? Isn't this very similar to the idea I mentioned above of having 2 different Execution Servers sharing a single BPA database?

If I explicitly pointed one of the remote agents to the first Execution Server (I'll call it A) as primary, and the second agent to Execution Server B as primary, would that cause any issues?

In either scenario, I'm wondering how would scheduled triggers behave, given that those run on the Execution Servers, not on the agents. Would both Execution Servers trigger all workflows that use scheduled triggers, one of them would successfully send it to the agent for execution, and the other one mark the same workflow as failed because the agent was not connected?

Category Survey
 07/16/2015 03:17 PM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello Alejandro,

You can find more information, including how to set up the failover environment at the following link:

http://www.networkautomation.c...ilover/504f4e4b13ed0/

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Category Survey

07/20/2015 11:34 AM

Author Icon
AlejandroVillarreal
Journeyman (50-99)

Thanks Alex. I understand how do to the setup, but that link doesnt' answer our questions about functionality. How exactly does the system behave when you have 2 instances connected to the same DB? Since our understading based on previous threads is that some components (in this case the scheduled triggers) run on the Execution Server and not in the agents, would those be running on both Execution Servers all the time? If so, what will happen when one of the Execution Servers tries to execute a Workflow that's assigned to an agent that is not connected to it? Report failure as it would normally happen with a disconnected agent?

Category Survey
 07/20/2015 03:36 PM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Hi Alejandro,

You are correct. With multiple BPA servers connecting to the same database, all of the servers will trigger on schedule events and only one will succeed with the connected agent where the other servers will fail. You will see multiple events in the execution events for every schedule event.

Category Survey
Windows version:

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 2124 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 2124 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog