Increase font size
Topic Title: Holiday still being counted in workday calculation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/16/2017 01:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2017 01:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BradyFlax
Apprentice (20-49)

Greetings! Is there a way to have Automate not count a holiday as a workday? We have a task that is scheduled to run on the 5th business day of the month and we noticed that even though Labor Day marked as a holiday within the schedule for  that task, the "next run date" still shows the 7th, should be the 8th.

Thank you in advance!

Brady

Category Survey
AutoMate 10 version: 10.3.0
Windows version: Windows 7
 08/17/2017 03:22 PM

Author Icon
Devin Cannon
HelpSystems

Hi Brady,

In the trigger properties for the task, open the "Exclude" section, and click "Add."  Select "Holidays" and then your country.  AutoMate has a built-in list of holidays that will then be exluded.  This list may have dates that you do not wish to observe, or be missing dates that you do.  In the Task Administrator under 'Options' > 'System Settings' > 'Holidays' you can add and delete dates in the list.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Devin Cannon | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 08/18/2017 06:56 AM

Author Icon
BradyFlax
Apprentice (20-49)

Hi Devin,

I double-checked to make sure the system holidays for the U.S. included this coming labor, 9/4/2017, and also that the task's schedule contained the exclusion "Do not trigger on holidays for the United States". The schedule is set to run every month on Work Day 5.

Even though the 5th working day of September 2017 will be Friday the 8th due to Labor Day falling on the 4th, the "Next launch date" indicates September 7th (I restarted the Automate service just to make sure the Task Administrator was refreshed).

I know this sounds a bit picky but our operational reports requires a full 5 business days to correctly reflect the proper information.

As a work-around would creating a "false" holiday for September 7th force the trigger to fire on the 8th?

Thanks for your time and attention,

Brady

Category Survey
 08/18/2017 07:07 AM

Author Icon
Leonard Amabile
HelpSystems

Brady,

The holiday exclusion for schedule triggers is intended to only prevent trigger execution on those holidays. This in no way would affect business day count. Adding an exclusion for the 7th will not push the trigger to the 8th unless the trigger was a daily trigger. Unfortunately, the only way around the weekday issue is to change the trigger to a daily trigger and add logic within the task that checks the work day and takes into account holidays.

Category Survey

Leonard Amabile | Director, Cross Platform Support
AutoMate | InterMapper | Skybot | Divisions of HelpSystems
T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 08/18/2017 09:34 AM

Author Icon
BradyFlax
Apprentice (20-49)

Thank you, Leonard and Devin for your assistance - always appreciated!

Category Survey
 01/25/2018 02:54 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

I feel your pain Brady. I voiced this concern quite some time ago but ended up feeling like I was running around in circles. Fortunately, it was not terribly critical for us so I let it go. I attended the HelpSystems User Conference in 2016 and had the pleasure of a sit-down conversation with Pat Cameron. During our talk, I discussed this at length with her and in the end, she agreed with my assessment - the scheduler should not consider a day that has been defined as a holiday (as per the holiday.aho file) as a 'work day', but it does.

In our case, the only situation this affected us was January 1st of every year. That day is defined as a holiday for us. We have a few jobs that are set to run on the 1st work day of each month. They all run fine, except on January 1st - if January 1st falls on a Mon-Fri. The 1st fell on a Monday this year - and these particular jobs are set to run on the 1st WORK day. So, since AM considered 1/1 a work day, combined with the fact that 1/1 is a defined holiday for us, it just didn't run at all for that month. My argument is that the first work day should have been calculated to be Jan 2nd - because per our holiday schedule, that would be our first work day of that month.

A variation of that would be if January 1st fell on a Sunday. Sunday is not a normal work day for us, so we would observe New Year's Day the following Monday - thus, our holiday schedule would reflect 1/2 as our observed holiday which means the first work day for us should be calculated as January 3rd.

Not that I want to go into this again at length, but here's the original thread for reference if you're interested.

http://forums.networkautomatio...atid=51&threadid=13448

Category Survey
Windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2

<html />
 02/21/2018 01:51 PM

Author Icon
BrianG
Apprentice (20-49)

Originally posted by: BradyFlax

Thank you, Leonard and Devin for your assistance - always appreciated!</p>

Originally posted by: JamesLankford

I feel your pain Brady. I voiced this concern quite some time ago but ended up feeling like I was running around in circles. Fortunately, it was not terribly critical for us so I let it go. I attended the HelpSystems User Conference in 2016 and had the pleasure of a sit-down conversation with Pat Cameron. During our talk, I discussed this at length with her and in the end, she agreed with my assessment - the scheduler should not consider a day that has been defined as a holiday (as per the holiday.aho file) as a 'work day', but it does.

In our case, the only situation this affected us was January 1st of every year. That day is defined as a holiday for us. We have a few jobs that are set to run on the 1st work day of each month. They all run fine, except on January 1st - if January 1st falls on a Mon-Fri. The 1st fell on a Monday this year - and these particular jobs are set to run on the 1st WORK day. So, since AM considered 1/1 a work day, combined with the fact that 1/1 is a defined holiday for us, it just didn't run at all for that month. My argument is that the first work day should have been calculated to be Jan 2nd - because per our holiday schedule, that would be our first work day of that month.

A variation of that would be if January 1st fell on a Sunday. Sunday is not a normal work day for us, so we would observe New Year's Day the following Monday - thus, our holiday schedule would reflect 1/2 as our observed holiday which means the first work day for us should be calculated as January 3rd.

Not that I want to go into this again at length, but here's the original thread for reference if you're interested.

http://forums.networkautomatio...atid=51&threadid=13448

Kind of an old topic, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in regarding a workaround.
If you have a job that is only supposed to run on a specific day each month and you have to worry about holidays. I'd just make a custom Holiday calendar and specifically define which days for the year it should kick off. Saves a lot of trouble.

Category Survey
AutoMate 10 version:
Windows version:
 02/21/2018 01:56 PM

Author Icon
JamesLankford
Artisan (200-499)

Yes, we have been using custom holiday schedules ever since we've been running AM - ~5 years now.

Category Survey
Windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2

<html />
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 703 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 703 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog