HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Headless GUI Commands
Topic Summary: Need help getting GUI commands (such as move mouse) working in AutoMate BPA 10 running on windows server 2012.
Created On: 09/18/2017 10:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by TylerGriffin, on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:32 AM

Answer:

I changed the Logon user account to be what I think is the one running AMEM.exe (I assume this is the AutoMate BPA server application).

I restarted the server to be sure to kill any RDP remote sessions.

Once the server was back up, I got some help from the IT ladies watching the server via the virtual-machine console.

We watched it sign in and perform the GUI-commands as programmed.

Seems to be working now.

Thank you for your help Devin!

09/18/2017 10:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TylerGriffin
n00b (>6 posts)

I need to click-bot around an old windows GUI application without being remoted-in to the server.  It works fine as long as I can visibly see the desktop via a remote-session window.  If I'm not remoted-in, or even if I just minimize it, the gui-commands (such as move mouse) do not work.

I tried following these instructions: http://forums.networkautomation.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=50&threadid=13817

But I got stuck on this step: “2 SAS must be selected under the Default User, which can be found under Options > Default Properties > Default User in Task Administrator within AutoMate or Server Management Console within BPA Server.

I can’t see the “SAS” option that’s mentioned.  I assume this is becuase of my BPA version or OS?

AutoMate version: AutoMate BPA Standard 10.5.0.56

Thanks.

Category Survey
AutoMate 10 version:
Windows version:
 09/18/2017 01:42 PM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hello Tyler,

You are correct, it is because of the BPA version.

To run minimized, please try the following:

http://www.networkautomation.c...indows/4ecdf43e03470/

For auto logon/unlock, the setup is much less involved than previous versions. Here is the basic setup:

Using AutoMate v10 / BPA Server v10 to Auto Unlock/Log On to Workstation/Server

1 Task LogOn Properties. All three settings should be set to the following:
When workstation is logged on | Logged on user
When workstation is logged off | Logon specified user
When a workstation is locked | Unlock using specified user

The 'Domain or machine name' field is optional. I would however remove the domain if it has been added. It is NOT actually required for auto login but it 'may' be required for 'your' organization's network. You will not know until the login fails. So best practice is to remove it and re-add, if your login requires further authentication to access your network.

2 Lastly testing the auto unlock/login process using AutoMate/BPA cannot be watched using RDP. You will have to use another way to connect to the remote machine to witness AutoMate auto unlocking/logging in to make sure the process is successful such as RealVNC or another 3rd party equivalent. Granted if the workstation/server in question is on a virtual machine, then watching it from the 'console' will suffice. Once the above changes have been made you should be able to create a blank task and assign it a Scheduled Trigger to unlock/log on to the workstation/server in question.

Let us know if that works for you.

Category Survey

-------------------------

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 09/19/2017 11:09 AM

Author Icon
TylerGriffin
n00b (>6 posts)

My LogOn Properties were already set up as you specified above.

I do not need to run with my remote session minimized.  I ultimately only need to run when I'm not remoted in at all.

When I remote in after running, I see that my GUI application has been launched, but the first element I look for cannot be found.

Error message: 9/19/2017 12:57:56 PM,Task '' running on agent '' failed because: No windows matched the requested set of criteria. (Step 8 in function Main)

When I am remoted in and watching, the code behaves as expected, and I get no error.

Any other ideas?

This server is a virtual machine.  Could that be effecting this?

Thank you.

Category Survey
AutoMate 10 version:
Windows version:

Edited: 09/19/2017 at 12:24 PM by TylerGriffin
 09/19/2017 04:26 PM

Author Icon
Devin Cannon
HelpSystems

Hi Tyler,

This should work fine inside a VM.  Do you have access to the VM console to watch the logon process?  This whole process cannot be viewed over RDP.

When logging out of RDP, a logoff/signout must be done through Windows.  If the red X is simply clicked to close the RDP session, the current session will remain running but in a diconnected state and AutoMate will not be able to interact with the session.  If a logoff/signout is completed, AutoMate will log into Windows first and then run the task.

Another issue could be that the AMEM.exe process is running under a different user than the user running the task.  Say if User1 logs in and AMEM.exe is running as User1 and then User1 disconnects (not logoff) from RDP, AMEM.exe will continue to run as User1.  If the task is setup to login User2 before running the task, this will cause issues as the AMEM.exe process is running under User1 and cannot interact with the User2 session.

I would get rid of RDP from the equation first and make sure everything is working correctly viewing from the VM console.  Once it's working there, then it should work within RDP as long as the user does a logoff/signout when exiting RDP.

Category Survey

Devin Cannon | Support Analyst
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 09/20/2017 08:32 AM

Author Icon
TylerGriffin
n00b (>6 posts)

Answer Answer

I changed the Logon user account to be what I think is the one running AMEM.exe (I assume this is the AutoMate BPA server application).

I restarted the server to be sure to kill any RDP remote sessions.

Once the server was back up, I got some help from the IT ladies watching the server via the virtual-machine console.

We watched it sign in and perform the GUI-commands as programmed.

Seems to be working now.

Thank you for your help Devin!

Category Survey
AutoMate 10 version:
Windows version:
 09/20/2017 09:58 AM

Author Icon
Ricardo Castaneda
HelpSystems

Hello,

Thank you for the follow up.

Category Survey

Ricardo Castaneda | Principal Support Analyst
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 3504 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 3504 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog