HelpSystems Community Portal.
Post to the HelpSystems Forum
You are not currently logged on. You must be logged on in order to post. Log on
Or Create a new account
AutoMate Discussion
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Error/failure handling
Topic Summary: Passing information to a different task?
Created On: 02/21/2017 01:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by DrydenLong, on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:07 AM

Answer:

Hey Jacob,

I posted the original question about the error emails and since it's not possible, have been looking into something similar as you describe. What I'm testing now is using the OnStepError function to make a database entry using the AMError dataset, then having a seperate task parse that database and send notifications accordingly.

All of the information in the default error emails is in the AMError dataset, so you could turn off the default emails and rely solely on the error handling through the OnStepError function in order to keep it condensed.

The problem I am running into is that I have over 150+ workflows, so updating each task within those workflows will take some time, however for future tasks and the ones I have updated, this seems to be working as expected.

02/21/2017 01:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JacobNielsen
Journeyman (50-99)

Since it's not possible to create customized error emails (as was pointed out in an earlier post), we're working on making some error handling tasks that will classify certain tasks as Critical (highly time sensitive; drop everything and fix it now), Warning (needs to be looked at as soon as possible) or just information (something failed, but possibly because it was supposed to).

What we need is when the task fails, it passes to an error-handling task the step that failed and why. In essence, kind of like what the failure email sends, but it stores those messages in a variable that is then used in error-handling task.

For example, if a task fails on step 32 because a file can't be found, then variables are set with "Step 32" and "File doesn't exist" in the error-handling task, when then fires off an email with a subject line indicating the severity level.

Now, I know that the task will send an email with that failure information and we can follow it up with a second email sent from the error-handling task indicating that the task failed and what its severity level is; however, I'm looking to keep it condensed, if at all possible.

So, is it possible to do that?

Category Survey
 02/22/2017 06:08 AM

Author Icon
DrydenLong
Journeyman (50-99)

Answer Answer

Hey Jacob,

I posted the original question about the error emails and since it's not possible, have been looking into something similar as you describe. What I'm testing now is using the OnStepError function to make a database entry using the AMError dataset, then having a seperate task parse that database and send notifications accordingly.

All of the information in the default error emails is in the AMError dataset, so you could turn off the default emails and rely solely on the error handling through the OnStepError function in order to keep it condensed.

The problem I am running into is that I have over 150+ workflows, so updating each task within those workflows will take some time, however for future tasks and the ones I have updated, this seems to be working as expected.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 10 version: 10.6.0
Windows version: Windows 7
 02/22/2017 07:38 AM

Author Icon
JacobNielsen
Journeyman (50-99)

Hi, Dryden.

I had completely forgotten about the OnStepError function. I'm somewhat new to Automate and had seen it once. Thank you for the reminder!

From some early testing, it appears that this will fit the bill exactly. I appreciate the help!

Category Survey
 03/01/2017 07:43 AM

Author Icon
DavidSeibel
Apprentice (20-49)

I used OnStepError for a long time.  What I did was take the parameters to OnStepError and insert all that info into a shared variable in a custom XML format that I defined.  Something like:

Main

Then I could easily parse that using the built in XML functions in my error handling task.  However, I had some trouble with the shared variable sometimes not retaining the error data (something I never opened a case on, but should have).  Ultimately I decided to scrap this in favor of a better solution.

Now what I do is simply query the BPA database for error information.  No need to capture the error using OnStepError.  This has worked so much more reliably, and has the benefit of requiring no changes to your tasks.  It also has the benefit of being able to handle non-task errors (evaluations/conditions/processes).  I've attached the task that I use to do this.  You'll need to modify your workflows to have items point at this task on a failure.  You will also need to modify the task to point to your BPA database, and insert your email information.  I did design this so you can modify who receives errors for each workflow.  Just specify a shared variable called "WF_emailRecipient" and insert the recipient addresses in it.

Category Survey

Edited: 03/02/2017 at 10:46 AM by DavidSeibel
 03/01/2017 09:29 AM

Author Icon
JacobNielsen
Journeyman (50-99)

Thank you for sharing that. I'll plug it in and see how it works for me.

Category Survey
 03/02/2017 08:19 AM

Author Icon
DavidSeibel
Apprentice (20-49)

So, I clearly forgot to remove the "On Task Error" configuration from that task before exporting it to send to you.  I am getting your errors in my email

Mind clearing that out for me? Thanks!

Category Survey
 03/06/2017 10:08 AM

Author Icon
JacobNielsen
Journeyman (50-99)

I haven't actually moved that task into Automate yet (been busy working out some other issues), so those aren't my errors that you're getting.

Category Survey
 03/07/2017 07:07 AM

Author Icon
JeffTysco
Artisan (200-499)

That was likely me during some testing, I saw this post and corrected it

Category Survey

-------------------------
?? . Your Total IT Solutions Provider
?? . Business Class Hosting Services
 05/21/2018 12:02 PM

Author Icon
PatrickMarshall
Student (5-19 posts)

Is DavidSeibel's example code still available? Seems to have gone missing from the thread and I'm looking to implement something similar.

Category Survey

Automate 11 BPA Standard
Windows Server 2016
 05/25/2018 09:43 AM

Author Icon
Alex Escalante
HelpSystems

Hey Patrick,

Unfortunately it looks like the task/code has been removed.

We do have a service that builds tasks for you based on your specifications. Please let us know if you would like a account rep to reach out to you regarding these details.

Category Survey
AutoMate BPA Server 10 version:
Windows version:

Alex Escalante | Support Analyst
AutoMate | Division of HelpSystems
HelpSystems, LLC | T: +1.213.738.1700 | F: +1.213.738.7665
 05/31/2018 04:57 AM

Author Icon
DavidSeibel
Apprentice (20-49)

I've re-attached it. Not sure why it disappeared.

I've made a number of changes since I last posted it:
1) The task will now report the entire "stack trace", which shows you the hierarchy of the calling workflow(s).
2) The email will now show the notes for every workflow in the "stack".
3) The email includes a link at the bottom to Insite (if you use it), which will show you the past history for the workflow.
4) The email will now report the failure rate - the percentage of failures over the past X runs - and change the email to high priority if the failure rate is above the threshold.

Here are the things you'll need to change in the task:
Step 1: The "SHARED_emailRecipient" variable can have a default value, and can be overridden by any calling workflow by specifying this shared variable.
Step 2: Change "emailSender" to the appropriate email address.
Step 11: Optional - This variable specifies the number of samples of this workflow to take to determine failure rate, the current value specified will sample the past 10 runs.
Step 12: Optional - This variable controls the threshold at which the email is changed to high priority. This is a percentage, so the current value will set the email to high priority if the sampled workflow runs failed more than 20% of the time.
Step 18: Change "insiteServer" to point to your HelpSystems Insite server name. If you don't use Insite, just leave this variable blank, and the URL will not appear in the email.
Step 19: Change "insiteServerId" to the ID Insite uses to reference this AutoMate server (is unique for every AutoMate product connection in Insite). An easy way to get this is to navigate to "Workflows" for that product connection, and then look at the number that occurs after "Workflows" in the URL (see in bold here): insite.example.com/HelpSystems/#AutoMate/Workflows/2/page/1/sort/name/dir/0
Step 22,23,41,43: Change the database connection info to point to your BPA database.

And then all you need to do is embed it in your workflow(s), and point a failure link from every task to this task.

I've also attached a screenshot of an example email.

Good luck!

Category Survey

Click for full image
Click for larger image
Email Task Error.ampkg
Email Task Error.ampkg  (16 KB)

Edited: 05/31/2018 at 05:19 AM by DavidSeibel
Statistics
18258 users are registered to the AutoMate Discussion forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 5551 on 01/08/2018 at 11:11 AM.
There are currently 309 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 309 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Sitemap Network Automation Software Blog